BUILD THREAD 1986 Oldsmobile 442 Build

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Having no A/C even sucks up here and a heater is mandatory. A great combo is a stock 403 short block with early 330 or 350 heads with a mild cam. Add a couple of good hard parts and a shift in your 2004R trans and you will be good. I don't blame you for swapping your swirl port turd 307.

RunAwayNJ

Master Mechanic
Oct 9, 2012
Ocean County, NJ
Are you sure you want to do away with the HVAC? Defrost is a great thing, expecially when the windshield is fogging up.

It would be OK. It's garaged and not an everyday driver. Hasn't seen anything but sunny weather in 4 years. I don't remember a time having the T-tops in either. It would be a last resort but I'd be cool with it.

RunAwayNJ

Master Mechanic
Oct 9, 2012
Ocean County, NJ
OK - starting to get a wish list together as the search for a Rocket 350 continues. The 442 has the stock 2004r trans in it now and its going to need some TLC. I've been doing some research online and I'm pretty sold on the Monster 2004r transmission. Not only are they less expensive than the others out there, but they seem to been a really good company with a great product. We are going to give it until mid September to coincide with the Englishtown Raceway swap meet to find a 350. If we can't, we continue by rebuilding the existing 307. The only items I am sold on so far are: Headers (Hedmann if we keep the 307), Magnaflow exhaust, Monster trans. If we have money left over we'll get as much Hotchkis suspemsion parts as we can. Otherwise, that will be 2018's work.

RunAwayNJ

Master Mechanic
Oct 9, 2012
Ocean County, NJ
Made a giant leap today in the drivetrain rebuild process. I ordered my transmission from Monster transmission, a nice 2004R build with several trimmings. They are out about 4 weeks on the build, so mid August I should be getting it. Looking forward to that. My Magnaflow mufflers and tips arrived too. Slowly this is all coming together.

Reactions: 1 users

Canon_Mutant

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2015
Unless you are building a really high power small block, you really do not need headers. They are a PITA from fitment to changing oil, servicing the starter or solenoid, accessing the converter or flexplate, etc. Check these out . . .

http://thorntonmusclecars.com/products/manifolds

• Agree

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
I agree with Canon. Unless you are 400+hp, headers are just a nuisance. Good flowing pre smog manifolds flow better or as well as headers do and they fit better and have better access to spark plugs and dipsticks and whatnot.

Reactions: 1 user

Canon_Mutant

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2015
I'm glad someone does . . . :doh:

Maybe we should start our own support group? :rofl:

Seriously, I have known peeps to put headers on the factory 307. Doesn't do a thing for performance and now they are in the way of everything you want to do not to mention all the bloody knuckles you got and cussing you did putting them in. I have never regretted putting WZs on my big block.

Last edited:

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
I got stock manifolds that are cracked all to hell (but don't leak a damn bit, oddly enough) connected to dual 2.5 inch downpipes on my 350 Buick and it sounds amazing.

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
I was onboard right up until you mentioned removing your heater/ac box...
Ripping out the HVAC box is the single worst thing anyone can do to a street driven G-body.
Considering you have one of the few G-bodies that actually has some value and collectability, that value is preserved thru keeping the car complete and correct. Not to mention you'll have a harder time finding a buyer for it in the future...
I can't count how many cars I've looked at and walked away from because the heater box was gone.
If you want to leave the compressor and stuff off and not run a/c go ahead, but the heater core, fan and vents are important.
On a track-only race car sure, take it out... but there's truly nothing to gain by removing it on a street car.

• Agree

RunAwayNJ

Master Mechanic
Oct 9, 2012
Ocean County, NJ
Hi everyone-

First - THANK you for all the great comments and observations. I took that back to the people who are doing the work with me and we cancelled the order on the headers and will be keeping the AC box. Thank you Canon_Mutant for the lead on the manifolds from Thorton - we are actually going to get those instead and run a true dual exhaust back from them. I am really appreciative of everyone's feedback and comments - you made my build that much better!

We are still doing the Monster transmission - its a better deal than rebuilding the existing. Should have it in 4 weeks.

Now - any thoughts on rebuilding the existing Q-jet or putting in an Edelbrock or Holly? I'm thinking just rebuild it and keep it stock. I do not plan on changing the intake.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor