BUILD THREAD 1986 Oldsmobile 442 Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

RunAwayNJ

Master Mechanic
Oct 9, 2012
Ocean County, NJ
Got another project out of the way tonight - removed the old battery and installed a new Optima yellowtop and billet hold down tray. Here is the "before picture" and the new battery:
1.batterybefore.jpg 2.batteryoptima.jpg
After I removed the old battery, I had to make some modifications to the battery tray to fit the billet holder. If you are not getting a billet holder the Optima battery fits right in the tray, and comes with the puck adapter holddown. Here are the modifications I had to make:
3.batterytray.jpg
Then it's time to line up the tray and drill the mounting holes:
4.batterylineuptray.jpg 5.batterytrayboltdown.jpg Bolted in place. It's much sturdier than before!
Next time to lower in the battery. After it's in, you can push down on the plastic handle and it can be removed. I saved it so the battery can be removed easier in the future.
6.batteryin1.jpg
Next I put the cover to the tray on and screwed it into place:
7.batterycoveron.jpg
Then it's time to connect the battery cables. I hard wired in the pigtail for the charger as well so I don't have to use the clamps.
8.batteryalldone.jpg
And the final, mounted my new Optima charger to the wall and plugged it in to charge it up. The battery came 50% charged.
9.batterycharger.jpg

And it's done. If you are interested in the billet tray, here is the Ebay link to the one I purchased:

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5335822911&icep_item=281867643697

I also got a battery a size larger than the fitting guide. It actually fit in perfectly and there is plenty of room on the sides and on top. The whole project took about an hour and was pretty painless.

RunAwayNJ

Master Mechanic
Oct 9, 2012
Ocean County, NJ
One more small touch under the hood. I painted the braces metallic gold. A few coats of gold and 3 coats of clear, painted the bolts as well. I think it looks better than it did as all black.

1brace.jpg 2brace.jpg 3brace.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

HAFROD

Royal Smart Person
Jul 15, 2013
Claremore, OKLAHOMA
I love what you've done so far. Are you planning on putting some wire loom on the red wires in photo 2 just above my post? Looks like they could rub through on the fender opening. Not at all trying to sound like a smart @$$. Just lookin out for a fellow G body owner

RunAwayNJ

Master Mechanic
Oct 9, 2012
Ocean County, NJ
I love what you've done so far. Are you planning on putting some wire loom on the red wires in photo 2 just above my post? Looks like they could rub through on the fender opening. Not at all trying to sound like a smart @$$. Just lookin out for a fellow G body owner

Thanks! In the fall we will be pulling the engine and trans (finally!) When it's out we are going to re-run all the wires properly and loom them. That was a temporary setup that was only supposed to last 1 summer. It's now been 3 summers. We are going to paint and detail the entire engine area properly.

RunAwayNJ

Master Mechanic
Oct 9, 2012
Ocean County, NJ
No not a
Good deal man. I did not want you to think I was being a dick. Lol. Good luck on the renovation
No not at all - always appreciate feedback. Finally getting moving on this engine rebuild after several years putting it off. Doing a parts list this weekend. If anyone has any input or would like to chime in it would be greatly appreciated.

For now, we are going to pull the 307 and trans. Plans are to get a new 2004R Monster trans and use existing gears from the current. We are going to rebuild the existing 307, and dress it up a bit. Hedmann headers, true dual exhaust w/ dual Magnaflows, rebuild the carb, and paint the block rocket gold. I know I can drop in a 350 but unless I can find a decent 350 Rocket I don't want to put a non-Oldsmobile engine in it. I don't want to go up to a 403 or 455 and be forced into making body modifications. SO that's the plan. We continue to scour the east coast locally for a 350 Rocket in my budget.

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
I don't want to go up to a 403 or 455 and be forced into making body modifications. SO that's the plan.

Nice build. FYI....... The 403 bolts in without any modifications and the 455 only requires some accessory bracket adjustments if you choose to use the factory brackets.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Nice build. FYI....... The 403 bolts in without any modifications and the 455 only requires some accessory bracket adjustments if you choose to use the factory brackets.

I took him to mean he doesn't want to do chassis mods like boxing the frame, but I could be wrong.

RunAwayNJ

Master Mechanic
Oct 9, 2012
Ocean County, NJ
No chassis mods - I would do the HVAC delete however. Nice to know a 403 goes right in - that opens up some options. Other than the HVAC delete I would not want to do any modifications in the engine area.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Are you sure you want to do away with the HVAC? Defrost is a great thing, expecially when the windshield is fogging up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor