1986 pontiac gp coil spring question

Status
Not open for further replies.

GP_Vortec350

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 12, 2014
Virginia
Sup everyone ok i have a 1986 pontiac grand prix that had a stock 3.8 v6 with
Oem replacement coils recently i swapped to a pontiac 400 engine now I'm nose diving I've recently brought a pair of moog 5608 springs took the car to big al's and they said they the wrong coil springs (the springs i brought doesnt match the ones thats already installed) and something about replacing my upper and lower control arms

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
If you swapped that engine out on your own no reason why you can't do the springs, there was a recent thread about that subject

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
If those are the original lowers that you have on your car they are probably due for a bushing change. If I were doing it I would look for a good used lower and have new bushings installed, new bolts and a new lower ball joint installed. Then when you are doing the spring change you won't have to play with the bushings on the old one. Alot of the times the bolts are seized in the bushings and you have to cut the bolts to remove the lower. You can always sell your lowers after the job is done.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Garrett1982

G-Body Guru
May 18, 2014
Uniontown, Pa
Get a floor jack under your lowers and compress your springs. Get four strands of heavy gauge steel tie wire and loop it through and slide them to four different spots. Twist tie them with pliers to get them tight. Release the jack and they will stay. Once the shock is out and the ball joint is separated the spring will fall out.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
If I am taking out a spring that will not be reused I remove the shock, cut the spring with a sawsall so the tension is gone and the spring will just fall out when you separate the ball joint

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor