1987 Chevy El Camino/SBC 355 Build (2nd Rebuild!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElCamMan515

Master Mechanic
May 18, 2010
Central New York
Hi Everyone,

It has been a long time since I've updated the thread. My El Camino build took a new direction. I plan on building a sleeper.

I have been running the El Camino with the 305/Saginaw set up since 2012 with no issues. I decided that I wanted to go back to an automatic trans and sold the 4 speed set up.

I will be finally bringing 355 (that I wiped cam in back in 2012) motor to machine shop for rebuild/break in next week.

I hope to get motor/trans/rear back into the El Camino before cruising season in NY starts in May 2015 as long as funds allow it.

God Bless and Hope you all have a fantastic Thanksgiving.

This is what El Camino looked like prior to being put in garage at end of cruising season:
https://scontent-a-lga.xx.fbcdn.net...=7ae127ede151532dd37701efa8c397ce&oe=54D82AF8

Tim

ElCamMan515

Master Mechanic
May 18, 2010
Central New York
Hello everyone,

Small Update:

I took motor to machine shop on Monday and got a call this morning stating to stop over after work there is some bad news. Owner of the shop wouldn't tell me what was wrong, wants to show me and explain what was/went wrong.

Ill update again tonight after I stop at the machine shop.

Tim

ElCamMan515

Master Mechanic
May 18, 2010
Central New York
Hi All,

I stopped at the machine shop this evening and found out the bad news...

The crank bearings were not clearanced properly causing no oil to pass through to bearings causing them to wear irregularly, same goes for the connecting rod bearings. Also the connecting rod bolts were not torqued correctly thus not allowing the rod bolts to "stretch" correctly. To add to this news, it appears the connecting rods are not a matching set; a few are narrower and lighter in color than rest. When I took motor to previous machine shop years ago for initial machine work, I know rods were a matching set. (I assumed since shop put together motor into a shortblock everything on bottom end was matching, so I never thought to confirm).

Owner of shop where motor is now has been building motors for dirt track racers from years, his idol was Henry "Smokey" Yunick and has some of his machines in his shop that he uses to this day. My motor is in good hands this time around. (same guy built my grandfathers 283 and my uncles 383 putting out 380hp and 490hp respectively) .

I will be purchasing a new crank and connecting rods and starting fresh once again.

Stay Tuned...

Tim

drogg1

G-Body Guru
Jan 25, 2009
Not too bad of news but unfortunate that someone thought it was ok to assemble it that way.

Sounds like its in good hands now. My buddy builds dirt track motors and gets business even from sprint cars. A motor built for the dirt track will easily hold together in any situation on the street. You should be pleased with what you end up with even if it might cost you a little more than a bottom dollar generic SBC build.

ElCamMan515

Master Mechanic
May 18, 2010
Central New York
Hi Everyone,

In January 2015 I will start building my dream El Camino.

Motor will be reline honed, lifter bores enlarged to use a ford style lifter, new crank and rods installed, entire short block will be balanced and will be broke in by machine shop.

I will be installing a new fuel system (going to install a fuel cell where stock tank is), and updating all suspension parts with new bushings, upper and lower rear control arms, etc.

I am going to use a TH350 for the transmission as it will not see to long trips and can deal with high rpms with the 3.73 rear gear.

Again, plan is to build a sleeper El Camino.

Thanks and I will post updates come the new year,

Hope everyone has a Merry Christmas

Tim

Yav8

Master Mechanic
Aug 19, 2014
Manitowoc wis.
If your getting a new crank and rods I would just do a 383 stroker. All you need are a set of pistons. Or you could just use a set of stock 400 rods and you 355 pistons. To spend all that money and still have only a 355????? If I had to spend all that money to freshen a motor I would start with a late 638 or the 880 hyd roller block and build a stoker with a roller cam.

ElCamMan515

Master Mechanic
May 18, 2010
Central New York
I pondered a stroker build now that i basically have to start fresh again, but budget is tight and i bought everything to rebuild the 355 prior to bringing it to shop as I thought the bottom end was okay, and shop was going to put top end together and break-in the motor. It will still be a nasty little 355 street motor after the shop owner puts his "special" touches on it.

Tim

Yav8

Master Mechanic
Aug 19, 2014
Manitowoc wis.
That's the very reason I tell people to not order parts until you know what you have and what you will need. No matter how nasty you think the 355 will be it will always be a lot more nasty as a 383.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor