1987 Cutlass Build

84dragcutlass

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2009
North Vernon IN
Okay so last bit of the intake is done, all the ports are matched and it's looking good. Had two bolts broken off, one on the thermostat housing and on on the egr plate. Those are both now fixed so I moved on to the gasket.
20221204_185811.jpg

I'm moving away from the metal intake pan since with doing all the work on the ports they aren't perfectly flat in the epoxy areas. But they make a great template.
20221204_185816.jpg

So I started by making a simple template on some gasket stock.
20221204_190702.jpg

The I used a leather punch to punch out all the hole corners so I could trim them with a razor blade.
20221204_185917.jpg

Finished gaskets match and don't look half bad
20221204_194349.jpg

Fitment on the head surface is good and I think it will seal up just fine. Now I can jet the chinesium quadrajet I got for the little 260 and I think it'll be just fine

• Winner
Reactions: 6 users

84dragcutlass

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2009
North Vernon IN
Well its all together and complete
engine.jpg

I had to repair a couple of holes from broken bolts, one on the thermostat housing and another on the EGR boss. With those out of the way i buttoned the rest of the engine up and fired it up. Sounds way better than it did with the 2 barrel. Its funny because before i had thought that someone may have put a small cam in it because it loped, turned out that was just the carb because now it runs smooth and revs nicely. Time will tell on the fuel mileage and so forth but for now i have a ton of loose ends to tie up to get it on the road.

• Winner
  • Friendly
Reactions: 6 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
What is that Qjet off? Looks like an earlier 750 cfm model.

84dragcutlass

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2009
North Vernon IN
That's actually an amazon special. I think the brand is Thundermingo. It was cheap which was the point and i put the smallest jets it came with in it to hopefully get it close. All in all pretty happy with it for $200 bucks

Reactions: 1 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
That's actually an amazon special. I think the brand is Thundermingo. It was cheap which was the point and i put the smallest jets it came with in it to hopefully get it close. All in all pretty happy with it for $200 bucks
Hey, if it runs good, do it. You can tell it's made of chinesium, as the linkage arm really looks cheesy, but at first blush, it looks like any other rebuilt Chebby carb. I don't see any choke on there, so I'm guessing it's a divorced choke setup? Maybe you can adapt an electric choke? The question is- can you get rebuild parts for it like gaskets, etc., should you need them? I would have a hard time believeing they're exactly the same as a Rochester.

Reactions: 1 user

84dragcutlass

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2009
North Vernon IN
Hey, if it runs good, do it. You can tell it's made of chinesium, as the linkage arm really looks cheesy, but at first blush, it looks like any other rebuilt Chebby carb. I don't see any choke on there, so I'm guessing it's a divorced choke setup? Maybe you can adapt an electric choke? The question is- can you get rebuild parts for it like gaskets, etc., should you need them? I would have a hard time believeing they're exactly the same as a Rochester.
Yeah the linkages and arms are definitely different, it has a choke on it, but i haven't seen it actually do anything. As for rebuild parts im not sure, although at least the top gasket looks exactly like a Rochester gasket. The float and accelerator pump look at least similar as well. The needles on the inside do look different and by different i mean cheap. I wouldn't say this is a 200,000 mile carb by any means but it should get the job done for what im doing. When i started this whole project years and years back it was to restore this car into a restomod but the more time went on and life priorities took over i decided to heck with that i didn't want some fully restored car i want something i can hop in and drive so thats exactly what this is. Going back to more of a "use what i have" mentality to go out and actually enjoy it. Does nobody any good sitting in the garage in pieces. I've spent the last few days buttoning up things that have been apart for years (interior trim, fenders bolted down and shimmed, core support fully bolted down) and its been nice to cross things off the list.

john87442

Master Mechanic
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2021
Geneva ohio
Just started my 87 442 disassembly, not sure how long it’s going to take but we’re going down to the frame, going to box it in for strength and go from there…. Look out for all the cash that’s going to be flying.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
All it takes is a few bucks for a restoration...get your wallet out and kiss it goodbye.

counting-cash-money-naedzh45yfr1aje7.gif

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
So an all new Qjet casting. An AFR gauge would interesting to see if it does anything strange.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor