1987 Cutlass Teenager Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

bmxer_coon

Apprentice
Jan 29, 2011
Eastpointe, MI, 48021
well i went racing got the 700r4 in, swapped the rear gears out for a posi unit and 3.42's (which was all free so dont hate lol) had the driveshaft shortened and rebalanced, however I didnt have my engine ready so i convinced my shop teacher to let me pull one of the built engines out of our schools mudd truck project...the engine was a 2 bolt 350, .40 over with dome top pistons (about 12:1 compression ratio) and stock heads. the car only did 15.3s at best but i had fun and i wasn't beating it too hard....so i thought. she started leaking oil from the timing chain cover and and coolant from the water pump and knocking (so i towed it up to the line with a quad each time) a smidge so i decided i was done racing for the day

my friends later convinced me to do the burnout competition so i did and roasted them for the full 60 secinds and it was quite epic

I'm currently attending Ohio TEchnical college where im building my other engine in class, i'll post pictures and a video of the burnout later
thanks for reading

YGspider

G-Body Guru
May 13, 2012
Ontario Canada Eh
Oh man this build is awsome coming from another young cutlass owner (19) I'm glad to see that your autoshop gave you a helping hand my school never did sh*t for me like that.

Do you have any other plans for this beast?

bmxer_coon

Apprentice
Jan 29, 2011
Eastpointe, MI, 48021
YGspider said:
Oh man this build is awsome coming from another young cutlass owner (19) I'm glad to see that your autoshop gave you a helping hand my school never did sh*t for me like that.

my auto shop was pretty cool, the teacher was practically my dad, spent all day in that class

but yea I'm building a 350 2 bolt bored .30 over with flat top pistons, mild cam, Edelbrock performer intake, and a few other little modifications, that should be in before spring
shes just my street/strip beast lol, but i plan to do some body work and paint in the future, and I've got more plans for the next engine (this one is temporary) but my funds are restricting right now

YGspider

G-Body Guru
May 13, 2012
Ontario Canada Eh
bmxer_coon said:
YGspider said:

my auto shop was pretty cool, the teacher was practically my dad, spent all day in that class

but yea I'm building a 350 2 bolt bored .30 over with flat top pistons, mild cam, Edelbrock performer intake, and a few other little modifications, that should be in before spring
shes just my street/strip beast lol, but i plan to do some body work and paint in the future, and I've got more plans for the next engine (this one is temporary) but my funds are restricting right now

LoL I know all about funds restricting acess to the good stuff. But with my apprentiship under way I'm making good progress on my gal aswell.

Kwik_Cutty88

Royal Smart Person
Nov 22, 2011
Coastal North Carolina
Nice thread and Cutlass as well. There are plenty of other young guys (like myself) that can give you some hints tips and tricks. Owning a G is pretty different, but well worth the frustrations at times. I also picked mine up for $400, dropped in a 383/700R4, and now its my DD.

Kwik_Cutty88

Royal Smart Person
Nov 22, 2011
Coastal North Carolina
bmxer_coon said:
Heyy, with the intake I'm running and my carb, I need about 2-4" of clearance which my stock hood is not allowing me, I'm low on fund at this point, so has anyone tried cowling out their stock hood? Or does anyone have any ideas(temporary/permanant)? thanks in advance guys

I dunno if they make a 2" drop base air cleaner, but you could look around.

marcar1993

G-Body Guru
Aug 31, 2007
New Jersey
Idk how I missed this when you were first building the car. Well I'm another teenager (19 for a little while longer) with a g body. I picked up my cutlass for $500 when I was 13 and have been playing with it ever since. Cool car, and nice progress with it. Seems to fight you every step of the way, breaking everything it can. Boy do I know that feeling. Anyway, nice to see other kids with g bodies, not rice or mommy and daddy bought brand new cars.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor