Not open for further replies.

Sævar Örn Eiríksson

Greasemonkey
May 5, 2018
ICELAND
1.jpg

Time for your bath !
2.jpg

Looking alright after the metallic dust is off!
3.jpg

The 350 doesn't have the thermometer where it's supposed to be? Can I buy it off rockauto, do you have the correct part number for me and if an adapter is needed to thread it in?
4.jpg

I have this cluster, I need the oil pressure sender and the coolant thermometer to make this all work, can you please provide me with the correct part numbers because rockauto lists a lot of different parts and say they all fit, but I'm not so sure...

5.jpg

There is some clearance issue with this carb and air cleaner, it rubs up against the inside of the hood, I really can't think of a way to lower the air cleaner without interfering with the distributor, so maybe I need just a smaller circumference air cleaner?

Sævar Örn Eiríksson

Greasemonkey
May 5, 2018
ICELAND
1555895229839.png

I would imagine these are the parts I need to make my gauges work, and the oil pressure sending unit goes on the back, near the distributor?
Right now there's a fitting there for an aftermarket oil pressure gauge which I dislike very much.

This temp sensor screws directly in to the cooling port of the drivers side cylinder head? where the plug has been installed on my engine, any adapters needed? I'd guess the plug in my engine is either 3/8 or 1/2 inch

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
What year is the motor/heads? Around '80 the NPT size for the temp sender went smaller. But what you show in your last post should do. Another spot you could put the temp sender is in the intake by the thermostat housing but double check NPT size as there can be either size or even both depending on it being OE or aftermarket.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
You chose the 60 psi oil sender - good. Toward the driver on the back of the block, beside the distributor, is a 1/8" NPT (National Pipe Thread) tapped hole for the oil pressure sender. The intake manifold and gasket take a little jog around the hole. If you leave it off, when the oil system primes, you get quite a geyser. Ask me how I know. :roll: To clear the HEI distributor, you'll need a 45-degree 1/8 x 1/8 inch angled elbow. Use a little teflon tape or paste in the threads to prevent leaks.
1555901761800.png

The two places for the temperature sensor are in the intake manifold near the water outlet, or in the cylinder head between #2 and #4 spark plugs - you have a some kind of pipe plug in there now. Check the pipe thread size before ordering. Should be about 15 mm or so. Again, install with a small amount of teflon sealer.

There are drop-base air cleaners, some don't clear the HEI. What carburetor do you have?

Reactions: 1 users

Sævar Örn Eiríksson

Greasemonkey
May 5, 2018
ICELAND
You chose the 60 psi oil sender - good. Toward the driver on the back of the block, beside the distributor, is a 1/8" NPT (National Pipe Thread) tapped hole for the oil pressure sender. The intake manifold and gasket take a little jog around the hole. If you leave it off, when the oil system primes, you get quite a geyser. Ask me how I know. :roll: To clear the HEI distributor, you'll need a 45-degree 1/8 x 1/8 inch angled elbow. Use a little teflon tape or paste in the threads to prevent leaks.
View attachment 111697

The two places for the temperature sensor are in the intake manifold near the water outlet, or in the cylinder head between #2 and #4 spark plugs - you have a some kind of pipe plug in there now. Check the pipe thread size before ordering. Should be about 15 mm or so. Again, install with a small amount of teflon sealer.

There are drop-base air cleaners, some don't clear the HEI. What carburetor do you have?

Thanks for a very informative answer, the carb I have is an edelbrock 1406 and it's an edelbrock air cleaner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor