BUILD THREAD 1987 Monte Carlo from Iceland

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sævar Örn Eiríksson

Greasemonkey
May 5, 2018
ICELAND
Though you may feel abondoned by me, it's absolutely my fault, I've been so caught up in university work and other projects, winter travelling etc. that the MC has not had any attention lately. I was also a little bummed to find that some paint spray had again made itself visible on the car paint, i'm not entirely sure if that's something that happened after I last buffed it, or if I just didn't see it when I last buffed it, nevertheless, I will need to strip the wax off and buff more to see if I can get it all perfect.

I have however started work on the rust free doors, they will need some dents pulled and then paint.

There also was that classical crack around the door handle area whereas the hinges were probably so bad that the door had to be lifted when closed... I will take care of that aswell.

93584862_10159797011737907_7852371965770727424_o.jpg

Reactions: 8 users

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
I was thinking Iceland was living up to it's name & froze you over. Glad to see you're still at it (or glutton for punishment like the rest of us) on your Monte.

• Agree
Reactions: 5 users

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
I think there's 2 different styles of latches but I don't know for sure I haven't had a t-top car in 20 years

Sævar Örn Eiríksson

Greasemonkey
May 5, 2018
ICELAND
Finally I have resumed work on the monte carlo, the sun is high and spirits too!

Some dirt from the fuel tank is entering the fuel filter which caused stalling under full throttle a few times, I cleaned it out (it's a filter which I can disassemble and blow air through the copper element)
I've driven around 50miles and have no further issues, I can practically do this on a roadside if there ever was an issue later, but frankly, I expected this issue much sooner, it never happened last summer. The tank was pretty rusty inside while it sat half empty... Guess I'll buy a new tank if the problem persists.

ON to the doors, what I've been dreading for OVER A YEAR to do!

Disassembled them completely, It's pretty certain I will need to do some wiring work on the loom in the car, the loom in these doors was no healthier! The window regulator mechanism is all pretty stiff and dry too, but I'll make one good set out of these two somehow!

The doors are pretty banged up, especially the drivers' side door. I think I will later attach the chrome moldings to it with adhesive, and eliminate the use of the dreadful plastic clips, the adhesive can be removed with heat if the chrome ever needs to come off later anyway, which I don't expect...

doors1.jpg
doors2.jpg

This is the driver's side door, as you can see it was pretty banged up, I did have to spotweld into it in five locations and pull out dings with a puller, so there is minimal bondo work, it's just for cosmetic, nothing crazy like you see on television :) Also the door handle area and key lock was pretty banged up, someone must've kicked it or something, but I got it pretty straight, at least to the point where I'm happy to prepare it for paint. Oh and someone mustve hit the mirror because that area was really efffed up, but I got it pulled in to shape.

I will also need the rubber seal for the lower part of the door(attaches to the door). The upper window and t top seals are all fine! Any kit recommendations?

On to other things, I still have to fix the dashboard wiring, it's pretty lame to not trust the gauges as they are on/off whenever a bump is hit, or stopped at a red light they will go crazy, I've seen youtube videos of this repair, and I will do it soon. As I've stated earlier, I really want to integrate a rev'meter to the dash, but they're pricey jeeezus! Are there any alternatives? No I don't want a universal rev meter mounted near the radio bezel hehe, I have one of those already and it's not a look I'm happy with

And lastly, the split bench seat, they're pretty ugly right now. I need covers over them to begin with.. But I also need to disassemble them and repair the back locking mechanism. Everytime I drive I get pretty tired quick, the seat is not straight and it tilts way too far back. Do you know of a write up or a video about the seat restoration/repair? I imagine something must be broken and has to be welded/replaced within the seatback to repair the locking mechanism, any common faults?

Any recommendations for light brown seat covers for a split bench?

sæti.jpg

I hope you have some good recommendations for me, I will have to make an order soon because the world of overseas shipments is very slow right now, about 2-3 months sometimes for larger non essential items between USA and europe.

But I'm back in the game and won't sell the car as it stands right now :)

Reactions: 6 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor