BUILD THREAD 1987 Monte Carlo from Iceland

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sævar Örn Eiríksson

Greasemonkey
May 5, 2018
ICELAND
It very well could be, I don't hear it through the video though, the exhaust is very open and loud when I pin the throttle, at idle it's pretty quiet.

The car is nowhere near completion, many touch ups are necessary before she is formally 'back on the road'.

Just this week I got 'new' used doors, rust free but a little banged up, they will be straightened and put on and painted soon.

1558168074839.png

1558168102657.png

Reactions: 3 users

Sævar Örn Eiríksson

Greasemonkey
May 5, 2018
ICELAND
nothing new here, the doors are still waiting for attention, however I finished the brakes except for the firewall parking brake cable which I had bought but received an incorrect one, for an S-10 for some reason, so I'm still waiting for it.

I installed the shock absorbers in the front and back and the car is now relatively drivable again.

I hear some clunking in the rear end, definately it's the suspension links which are very worn rubber bushes, I imagine there is an easy solution just to buy the arms with bushings and bolts to replace the whole unit, I'm almost certain I'll have to cut the whole thing out..

I need wheel spacers in the back, the tires rub the frame a little bit when the suspension is compressed, the wheels would also look much better about 1/2 inch further out...

I'm looking for a simple HEI distributor because I want to get rid of the multi spark capacitive bull sh*t, it's giving me trouble when I drive for a long time the unit shuts the car off and won't restart until I completely switch the ignition off for about 10 seconds and then restarts, if I don't wait 10 seconds, or don't completely switch the ignition off there will be no spark.. so just a plain old HEI would do the trick for me and I'm hoping to fine one locally.

I installed the new radiator and thermostat, ofcourse the thermostat bolts snapped so I had a hell of a time getting them out, but installed threaded rod instead so now if anyone needs to remove the thermostat housing its just two nuts that won't be jammed like the bolts in the aluminum, the car now runs much cooler and never overheats, I have a new heater core aswell but haven't gotten around to replacing it, this car won't be used much in the cold anyway.

thats all for now I think, next up is figuring out the ignition and probably getting around to the dreadful door work... it's inevitable!

Reactions: 5 users

Sævar Örn Eiríksson

Greasemonkey
May 5, 2018
ICELAND
Not dead still, just sailing along....

The car is working fine, I've gathered most of the parts I need to finish the build and make it road legal. I still haven't done anything with the doors... hehe

But I did buy a HEI ignition so now it's running much better and more reliably, and I trust the car for longer drives because before that it would tend to shut off in mid traffic and take a while to restart... This is not a problem any longer.

I have to fit the frontmost parking brake cable and figure out why the windshield wipers have stopped working alltogether, and then it's off to tech inspection to see if its roadworthy again ! :)

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor