1987 Monte Carlo SS Build - Aka Project Grown

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pro86tourn

Apprentice
Apr 26, 2020
I take it the rubber portion of the seal is what's getting damaged? Is this only happening on one side or both? Is there a lead in chamfer or did a machining step get missed possibly that is damaging the seal upon install? Got a picture?

The seal just simply wont go in without bending and then it is completely damage and out of round .... leading me to anger and crushing it. I may have to shave a little bit of space in the hub but It shouldnt be such.

mc1984ss

Master Mechanic
May 18, 2020
The seal just simply wont go in without bending and then it is completely damage and out of round .... leading me to anger and crushing it. I may have to shave a little bit of space in the hub but It shouldnt be such.

I wonder if the i.d. is machined out of round. If you have a caliper check to see how round the opening is

Reactions: 2 users

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
Nice collection/assembly of parts. I'll keep an eye out for the updates :cool:

Reactions: 1 users

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
if you bought the arms with taller ball joints upper and lower they stick out that much.they will not sit flush by design.i slide short pieces of heater hose over them to keep debris out.

Reactions: 2 users

Pro86tourn

Apprentice
Apr 26, 2020
He hasn't charged my card yet as when he's building the carb he waits until he ships but if I remember correctly 700 ish plus shipping... Im Canadian so it'll end up being 1000+ by the time it gets here.

I will let you know final invoice when charged!

• Wow

Pro86tourn

Apprentice
Apr 26, 2020
been beating the rear end idea in my head over and over on what to use... i was leaning Moser 12 bolt but I cant live with the cost. So I am not leaning towards 8.8 with 9'' ends, moser axels etc. I will bring my current rear to chassis shop and tell them to cut and make the 8.8 mounting locations and flange to flange exactly the same as the current 7.5 to use my 5.0 backspaced rear wheels... should bolt in after they are done giving me a rear that will handle anything i will throw at it.

My neighbor has been consistently running mid 8's for years with his 8.8 and personally i think 9'' is overkill these days for most applications, unless hardcore drag which im not doing.

Pro86tourn

Apprentice
Apr 26, 2020
Need some help here please!

Just got the car running starts right up and idles no issues but the car is running extremely rich to the point I can only have it run for like 15 seconds before my eyes are watering in the garage.

Engine is Lq4, 243 heads that have been worked, vacuum at idle is around 10, cam specs Comp LS Hydraulic Roller, Xtreme Energy LSG lobe 13119int and 13121 exhaust. intake 283' @ 0.002/234'@0.050 0.602lift (stock rocker). Exhaust 291' @ 0.002/242'@0.050 0.605'. Cam was ground with 112' split and 4' advanced.

Pulled all the plugs front 4 seem to be soaked and the rear 4 are fowled. I am running a pro systems carb specs below ( I have jetted down to 70 in the front and changed power valve to 6.5 from 5.5. I know it should be half of the vacuum reading but I don't have a 5PV I will try a 4.5 tonight.

I have yet to hook up laptop to the MSD 6014 but have I have tried all the built in timing selectors on the box with no difference.

any ideas? (carb is also brand new)

Attachments

• IMG_8751.jpg
    IMG_8751.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 121
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor