1987 Olds 5.3L LS turbo swap

Status
Not open for further replies.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Like your bracket. I'm in the design process of something similar except we are going to be installing a T6 S475 (a might bit bigger). We've had tons of issues trying to support a T4 on the manifold alone, so we're sure the T6 is going to need some type of support. One thing that is REALLY noce about a G-body is there is tons of room to get the turbo mounted. I see you're running true headers, I have to say that we decided to run truck manifolds just for the reliability due to the heat absorbing/dissipating factor of cast manifolds. I've seen plenty of builds that are using the headers you have, but most of them aren't daily driven which generates plenty of underhood heat issues. I'm sure your headers will work, but might be a pain keeping the plug wires from melting, but definitely can be dealt with.

Are you planning to run flex joints between the headers and the merge?

Is that 7875 from VS racing?

What EMS are you using?

I seen your HP goal initially, 4-500, I think your going to hit that between 8-10psi and then you'll be headed right on by that with a different wastegate spring lol.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Welding looks nice. Keep up the good work.

• Agree

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
Wow, looks like your quickly getting a handle on that new tig metal mender! Welds look great, can't wait to see and hear that thing under boost!

• Agree

GBodyscuffle

Master Mechanic
May 24, 2014
Keysville, VA
Like your bracket. I'm in the design process of something similar except we are going to be installing a T6 S475 (a might bit bigger). We've had tons of issues trying to support a T4 on the manifold alone, so we're sure the T6 is going to need some type of support. One thing that is REALLY noce about a G-body is there is tons of room to get the turbo mounted. I see you're running true headers, I have to say that we decided to run truck manifolds just for the reliability due to the heat absorbing/dissipating factor of cast manifolds. I've seen plenty of builds that are using the headers you have, but most of them aren't daily driven which generates plenty of underhood heat issues. I'm sure your headers will work, but might be a pain keeping the plug wires from melting, but definitely can be dealt with.

Are you planning to run flex joints between the headers and the merge?

Is that 7875 from VS racing?

What EMS are you using?

I seen your HP goal initially, 4-500, I think your going to hit that between 8-10psi and then you'll be headed right on by that with a different wastegate spring lol.

Thanks man. I have already been I'm the works for heat protection for the spark plugs, I was looking at using dei boots and if that doesn't work I will relocate the coils to the side of the block.
I do plan on using a flex joint between my merge and the turbo since it's mounted to the chassis and my engine doesn't have solid mounts yet I'm going to take my chances and do that because make something work directly mounting to the engine was almost impossible with stock accessories.
It's the vsr 7875 billet t4 .96a/r
And for boost control I'm planning on getting the aem tru boost controller. Also I'm using a stock truck ecu and harness that I converted to a stand alone system. And yes initially my power goals were 4 to 500 lol, but this will surpass that quite a bit I think lol.

Reactions: 2 users

GBodyscuffle

Master Mechanic
May 24, 2014
Keysville, VA
Welding looks nice. Keep up the good work.

Wow, looks like your quickly getting a handle on that new tig metal mender! Welds look great, can't wait to see and hear that thing under boost!

Thanks lol. The stainless is by far the most finicky materiAL that I have worked with using the tig. The heat has to be just right to get the nice blue and gold colors which indicates that it's correct for that thickness, etc.. a lot of people say aluminum is the most difficult to weld but I belive it's a lot more fun lol

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
Lol thanks I thought it was time for a new one. And it is pretty isn't it lol.
Lol, prolly sitting on a counter so you can pet it when you walk by right lol just kiddin man! I love new parts, like xmas year around when building a car!
I remember when i got my stealth ram efi intake....i think it sat on my bedroom floor for a couple weeks so i could see the vision everytime i walked by it lol!

Reactions: 1 user

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
One day i will boost my 87 cutlass, my fuel system is already setup for boost, just not financially practical right now since i need to redo my interior and motor after paint. But its always in the back of my mind since i need a new engine anyway to go ahead and procharge the beast.
I absolutely love the sound of turbos spooling, but a procharged old school small block sounds bada$$ too!

GBodyscuffle

Master Mechanic
May 24, 2014
Keysville, VA
Lol, prolly sitting on a counter so you can pet it when you walk by right lol just kiddin man! I love new parts, like xmas year around when building a car!
I remember when i got my stealth ram efi intake....i think it sat on my bedroom floor for a couple weeks so i could see the vision everytime i walked by it lol!

Lol I opened it the day it arrived and took it straight to my shop I was waiting for it lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor