1987 Olds 5.3L LS turbo swap

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyscuffle

Master Mechanic
May 24, 2014
Keysville, VA
Well guys, I've been trying my best to work on the car a little bit each day put as much time into it as I can in my free time. Managed to get some of the hotside welded up. Trying to do it very slowly so it does not pull and distort which would be a pain to fix since its all one peice and has 2 v-band hook ups and 2 bolts that have to line up for the flange bracket lol. BUT so far so good. I have it about 1/4 to 1/3 the way welded up and it has not pulled much if any for now.
Have more work that needs to be done now than I have parts needing to be bought. So thats my plan for now just to keep working on it a little each day after work when I can, and mostly all weekend unless someone needs my help or I have other plans i am dragged into lol. But I have a few pictures.

turbobuild12-7-16.jpg

turbobuild12-7-16(2).jpg

Reactions: 2 users

Opie Knievel

Rum Fueled Midnight Mechanic and Moderator
Sep 6, 2010
Brodhead, Kentucky
Well guys, I've been trying my best to work on the car a little bit each day put as much time into it as I can in my free time. Managed to get some of the hotside welded up. Trying to do it very slowly so it does not pull and distort which would be a pain to fix since its all one peice and has 2 v-band hook ups and 2 bolts that have to line up for the flange bracket lol. BUT so far so good. I have it about 1/4 to 1/3 the way welded up and it has not pulled much if any for now.
Have more work that needs to be done now than I have parts needing to be bought. So thats my plan for now just to keep working on it a little each day after work when I can, and mostly all weekend unless someone needs my help or I have other plans i am dragged into lol. But I have a few pictures.

It's looking good man. It doesn't look like you've got a lot of room for the intake piping though. I'm guessing you've already got the cold side plumbing figured out, right?

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas

View attachment 57715

View attachment 57716
Very cool!

• Agree

GBodyscuffle

Master Mechanic
May 24, 2014
Keysville, VA
It's looking good man. It doesn't look like you've got a lot of room for the intake piping though. I'm guessing you've already got the cold side plumbing figured out, right?

Thanks man this is probably one of the more difficult things I've ever done lol. As far as the cold side goes, coming from the compressor on the turbo it should only be 2 maybe 3 turns to the intercooler. Driver side will be around 3 or 4 bends if I do it right. It looks tighter than it really is in the picture though too. It has more room above than it looks like it does in these pictures. Worse comes to worse Ill get a shorter dual pass radiator and run the intake tube directly over top of it straight into the throttle body. Although that would take a lot more thought and fabricating lol. We will see here in a couple weeks though.

Reactions: 1 users

GBodyscuffle

Master Mechanic
May 24, 2014
Keysville, VA
Alright guys, been kinda slow with the holiday as far as money and time goes. But now I have already gotten some more parts in and going to be working on the car this weekend. Got alot to do, will be another update this weekend as I get things done. Also ordering some wheels tomorrow for the gbody, going to look pretty awesome.

GBodyscuffle

Master Mechanic
May 24, 2014
Keysville, VA
Okay fellas, got a little bit more done this weekend. I just about have the hotside finished minus the wastegates, which should be here this week. I added a second flex coupling just to cut down on some stress on the pipes. Got some o2 bungs to weld in this weekend along with adding wastegates. I will probably have to order some exhaust pipe for the waste gate dumps, unless I can find some in town which i doubt lol. But other then that the hotside will be finished soon. Then on to the cold side and some other odds and ends before I can fire it up. Also in these pictures its not completly welded up. But It looks basically the same just finished welding today and took these saturday. Some of my welds are kind of ugly but it will be heat wrapped and much of it will be hidden lol. Looking forward to my gates coming in and get some more stuff done to it this weekend. Feel free to ask questions, I love answering lol.

finished5.jpg

finished4.jpg

finished2.jpg

finished1.jpg

Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor