1987 Olds 5.3L LS turbo swap

Status
Not open for further replies.

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
That all looks great man! It is really difficult to do wiring and make it easy to access while also making it look good at the same time lol. And you're right about adding the stuff in for efi. Once you have good locations for everything to pull from, it makes it go smoother. I got some of the braided wire loom in the other day for mine. I love the look of this stuff way more than that split loom stuff. Ive used it before and now that i have this it makes me want to take the split loom out of me engine harness lol. Btw, I love the dash panel with the gauges and everything. Got any pics of it finished and together??
Much appreciated man! With the cutlass being tore apart in 10k pieces i don't have a current pic.
What i do have is a pic before i tore the car apart with the dash assembled, and a close up after covering it in carbon fiber.
FB_IMG_1446952617246.jpg
20150410_003827.jpg

• Winner
Reactions: 2 users

Opie Knievel

Rum Fueled Midnight Mechanic and Moderator
Sep 6, 2010
Brodhead, Kentucky
Much appreciated man! With the cutlass being tore apart in 10k pieces i don't have a current pic.
What i do have is a pic before i tore the car apart with the dash assembled, and a close up after covering it in carbon fiber. View attachment 63455 View attachment 63456

I've always loved your cluster setup. That's basically what I would like mine to look like someday.

Reactions: 1 user

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
Man that thing is beautiful....I want to do something like this for mine one day lol. Good job!
Thanks brother! I've always loved the cutlass rally pack gauges...but not the price people are asking! I figured i already had the sport comps anyway, hell I'll just build my own so i can tailor it to my liking!

Honestly, it wasn't too hard to make. I tore the dash apart, used the gauge surround as a template that i made on cardboard. Transferred it to aluminum, laid out the circles about 20 million times to ensure no clearance issues. Then i clamped it to a block of wood, drilled and cut general holes...then wallered em out with a die grinder until the gauges fit snugly into the holes.

It screws into the dash the same way the factory cluster did, with factory screws, and i think it looks way better than some that I've seen. The original cluster (1st pic above) was made at least 8 or 9 years ago. I've seen several clusters built recently that look like my idea was copied....shoulda patented it lol! Honestly, it makes me feel good that people would think enough of my design to make a "replica". I'm pretty OCD when it comes to designing certain things.
20141205_141919.jpg
20141211_113233.jpg

• Winner
Reactions: 3 users

GBodyscuffle

Master Mechanic
May 24, 2014
Keysville, VA
That looks awesome man lol. I understand the hard work and time that goes into designing 1 off pieces. Just like my relay panel, i had to make several different plates before i got to the version im at now

Reactions: 1 users

GBodyscuffle

Master Mechanic
May 24, 2014
Keysville, VA
Alright guys, i got my hpt in this past week and ive been playing with it. Its pretty fun so far, a large learning curve is involved with the process of tuning. I got the pro kit with the mpvi interface which allows black box data logging and external sensor logging like wideband which I have. Going to hook that up tomorrow so i can do some logging with it.

Today i managed to get my flow tested uncapped injectors in and get the car running with them. The average flow rates between 8 is 75.97 so lets just say 76#. Got some more things to work out with the tune and what not. Got several other things to do in the next few weeks, hoping to get this thing rolling soon. Bills and work been spreading me thin this past week, so i have to pinch some pennys but I know i can get it done. Im tired of having to keep moving the deadline back because of stuff like this, it can be very frustrating and discouraging some days. But im a big boy, i know i can get it done.

GBodyscuffle

Master Mechanic
May 24, 2014
Keysville, VA
I have the battery permanently mounted in the trunk now, all the cable ran from the trunk to a distribution post i got for the front firewall. I installed my emergency shut off switch on the plastic panel above the rear bumper. I still need to run a cable from the alternator directly to the battery, the extra cable is coming in friday to do that. I HOPE to get the rest of the wiring finished this weekend. All that's left to wire up is my wideband, the light for the boost gauge, and a couple other things i need to "clean up". I hate wiring because i hate when it looks terrible and that makes me have to work harder to make it look good lol.

Reactions: 1 users

GBodyscuffle

Master Mechanic
May 24, 2014
Keysville, VA
Im not dead and I have not sold the car, been busy making things happen lol. Got my intercooler and piping coming in friday, and ordering my rear suspension and tires this week as well. Hopefully should have this thing sitting on all fours again very soon. As for the suspension Ill wait til I get it before i start showing anything. Just know its top notch stuff. Got the wiring pretty much wrapped up bout a week ago. I had to move some stuff around under the hood but all is well for now.

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
Im not dead and I have not sold the car, been busy making things happen lol. Got my intercooler and piping coming in friday, and ordering my rear suspension and tires this week as well. Hopefully should have this thing sitting on all fours again very soon. As for the suspension Ill wait til I get it before i start showing anything. Just know its top notch stuff. Got the wiring pretty much wrapped up bout a week ago. I had to move some stuff around under the hood but all is well for now.
Good to hear your still chipping away at it! I might need to pick you're brain in regards to the 5.3. Not sure if you saw, but i acquired this beaut a couple weeks back. I've been hammering away trying to get everything needed to close up the short block.
20170423_091348.jpg

It will take awhile to get er done because I'm going for the gusto this time around!

Reactions: 2 users

GBodyscuffle

Master Mechanic
May 24, 2014
Keysville, VA
Good to hear your still chipping away at it! I might need to pick you're brain in regards to the 5.3. Not sure if you saw, but i acquired this beaut a couple weeks back. I've been hammering away trying to get everything needed to close up the short block. View attachment 64971

It will take awhile to get er done because I'm going for the gusto this time around!

You got a great deal man. Looks pretty clean! Mine looked the complete opposite of yours when I got it lol. Greasy and rusty, I was so glad to clean it up lol. Shoot me a message anytime you got a question man. Ill be glad to help you out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor