Not open for further replies.

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
Re: 1987 Olds Pro-touring project build *LONG*

xitabl442 said:
FE3X CLONE said:
It's going to be a cowl hood that starts at the front of the head panel. The hood will be the entire width between the two body lines in the stock hood. Those will essentially be eliminated and the edge of the cowl hood will take their place.
That will make the scoop roughly 33" wide.

I still have the W-30 hood. I'm going to paint it and install it on my brother's '81 for a wedding present. :)
Will it be molded in or look like bolt-on?

My vision has always been it being made of steel and molded in. The only part that will be fiberglass is the piece that will have to get molded to the header panel.

Burnhard

Master Mechanic
Jan 6, 2010

Are you using any body kit parts? Are you going to be running any side skirts?
I like the new look and direction of your body mods, clean body lines that flow.
I find the cars with the body kits don't flow well and are dated, not trying to be negative about these cars with the body kits.
It just takes real skill to beat factory body lines.

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio

Burnhard said:
Are you using any body kit parts?

Yes, we are using the front air dam and rear valance as well as the fender flares. We are modifying the rear valance though slightly to remove the indentations on each side to smooth it out a bit more.

Are you going to be running any side skirts?

Yes but those we have to make. The middle part of the side skirt will be similar to the original FE3X but where it meets up with the wheel weels and fender flares will be different and more simple.

I like the new look and direction of your body mods, clean body lines that flow.
I find the cars with the body kits don't flow well and are dated, not trying to be negative about these cars with the body kits.
It just takes real skill to beat factory body lines.

That has been the whole goal during my build with the body kit. I don't want people looking at the car and saying "hey nice body kit!" I want it to look as seamless as possible.

Burnhard

Master Mechanic
Jan 6, 2010

The factory cars with bolt on's can lack flow as well 83 and 84 HO not trying to be negative about these car. You are at what I think is the hardest part on any custom build geting the body lines right. To me a good mod is if it looks like it came that way from the factory, not a after thought like the HO's. I think Buick did a good Job with there rear wing and wheel well flares. Good Luck with the rest of your build very cool

bapekidon4s

Apprentice
Jun 20, 2010
san jose

Do you think your hood would fit a Malibu? If so what hood is it

84dragcutlass

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2009
North Vernon IN

I feel fortunate to have seen this car in person, wonderful car, i cant wait to see how it turns out when its done. Gave me some ideas for my project and can definatly be a cornerstone for anyone doing a professional and clean build

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio

bapekidon4s said:
Do you think your hood would fit a Malibu? If so what hood is it

Which hood? The one with the ram air scoops?

That's a W-25 hood which I believe you can get from VFN Fiberglass now. However I doubt it would fit a Malibu. It might physically bolt on but none of the body lines would line up correctly.

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio

84dragcutlass said:
I feel fortunate to have seen this car in person, wonderful car, i cant wait to see how it turns out when its done. Gave me some ideas for my project and can definatly be a cornerstone for anyone doing a professional and clean build

I appreciate the kind words but the more I look at what I've done the more I think of better ways I could have done things. I guess we are all our own greatest critics.

Something I experimented with yesterday that actually worked out really nicely was adding steel threaded inserts to my stock plastic wheel wells liners.

I'm making a platform for my Accel DFI ignition box to sit on which is basically mounted between the battery and windshield washer bottle. I'm using one of the mounting holes for the washer bottle to also use for this ignition mounting plate and then another 2 holes that I think were originally used for earlier model cruise control units.

However I don't like the self tapping screws going into the plastic because you can't get them very tight before stripping the holes out and it's tough finding them in longer lengths.

When I was at ACE Hardware yesterday I came across these in the hardware isle:

inserts.gif

They were labeled as furniture repair hardware but are basically just a barbed threaded insert. I drilled out my plastic liners to a size slightly smaller than these fittings and then just screwed them into place. Now I can use a typical 1/4-20 bolt to mount everything with.

It's rare that I can just buy something on a whim and the darn thing actually work perfectly but it happened this time. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor