1987 Olds Pro-touring project build - Now with paint

Status
Not open for further replies.

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
Re: 1987 Olds Pro-touring project build *LONG*

Finally finished my new radiator hoses. I tried out a few of those Gates power grip hose clamps and really like them. They seem to work really well and provide a lot better clamping than standard hose clamps.

IMAG0268.jpg

lsx80monte

Greasemonkey
Apr 12, 2012

thats nice looking but I really wouldnt call those hoses any more. More like tubing :) but still very nice looking as well as your build as a whole. Im really starting to think I should just get me a beater and go the route you went on your project. By the way, what metal did you use for the tubing?

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio

lsx80monte said:
thats nice looking but I really wouldnt call those hoses any more. More like tubing :) but still very nice looking as well as your build as a whole. Im really starting to think I should just get me a beater and go the route you went on your project. By the way, what metal did you use for the tubing?

Thanks.

And just an update, they don't leak either! :) Not yet anyway.

I just bought some mandrel bent exhaust tubing from Jegs and then cut and welded it together. The tubing is 16 gauge which is the same as what I had used before but it feels and looks much thicker.

lsx80monte

Greasemonkey
Apr 12, 2012

I have considered doing this also but I was thinking of using some aluminum or copper tubing as I was worried about possible rust issues.

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio

That could be an issue but as long as you have antifreeze in the water it will help.

My dad's '36 Plymouth P1 coupe has metal radiator hoses and they are still intact after 70+ years.

BillsHoe

Apprentice
Aug 28, 2011
Zoo York

First off this is the badest Cutlass by far.. Question i know you said rear wing is Monte SS but is it off aero coupe and how much fabrication needed? Thanks for all info on build..

Burnhard

Master Mechanic
Jan 6, 2010

Now that you have them made and they fit well you could go to a shop and have them make one piece units made out of stainless steel. or steel that way you would not have any weld seams. Andrew you car is bad *ss a one off hand built car thanks for sharing your build.

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio

Spent a little time today making a bracket for my ignition coil. It fits pretty nice right behind the brake master cylinder.

Before powder coating:

IMAG0003.jpg

IMAG0004.jpg

After final trimming and powder coat:

IMAG0005.jpg

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio

BillsHoe said:
First off this is the badest Cutlass by far.. Question i know you said rear wing is Monte SS but is it off aero coupe and how much fabrication needed? Thanks for all info on build..

Not sure what Monte its off of. I just know its from a later model because its the lay down version. The wings on each end need to be trimmed to clear the tail lights.

19elcamino82

Apprentice
Jun 7, 2011
Houston, Tx

i really like that threaded insert idea. that could be used for so many applications. THanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor