OLDS 1988 H/O decal and H/O emblem placement measurements

rfpowerdude

G-Body Guru
Jul 15, 2013
Palm Bay, Fla
I know that no one on here will generally know except for Mike M 88hurstolds so posting here is for informational for the rest who might be interested.

I need to know the measurements for the locations of the H/O badges on the sail panels and on the trunklid. Also the location of the 20th Anniversary decal on the trunklid. (see below)

Mike, do you have measurements? I went through all the paperwork that came with the original kit from Hurst and can't find a reference to measured location for these items. Maybe you have approximate measurements from your cars?

Also, I still have the registration card (also see below). Do you think there is any way to get a number for my H/O to make it "official" with the Badgeley family or the H/OCA or? I know it is literally 35 years later, so don't know if that's possible, but would be cool! Maybe there's a way to make an official request?
Thanks!

1688919518398.png

1688919547179.png

1688919584501.png

1688919637574.png

1688919670489.png

Reactions: 1 user

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
I know that no one on here will generally know except for Mike M 88hurstolds so posting here is for informational for the rest who might be interested.

I need to know the measurements for the locations of the H/O badges on the sail panels and on the trunklid. Also the location of the 20th Anniversary decal on the trunklid. (see below)

Mike, do you have measurements? I went through all the paperwork that came with the original kit from Hurst and can't find a reference to measured location for these items. Maybe you have approximate measurements from your cars?

Also, I still have the registration card (also see below). Do you think there is any way to get a number for my H/O to make it "official" with the Badgeley family or the H/OCA or? I know it is literally 35 years later, so don't know if that's possible, but would be cool! Maybe there's a way to make an official request?
Thanks!

View attachment 224103
View attachment 224104
View attachment 224105
View attachment 224107
View attachment 224108
I wondered the same thing when the kit was on ebay a couple weeks ago

rfpowerdude

G-Body Guru
Jul 15, 2013
Palm Bay, Fla
I bought the entire kit in 2004 with all paperwork, decals, promo materials, etc. from the original purchaser (1988 purchase) who included every last piece of related material with it, even the original invoice with name and address/date/etc. There is nothing missing. They had held onto it all for 16 years at that point and finally knew they were never going to build a car with it. Now it's 2023 and I am FINALLY finishing it LOL.

If anyone knows, it will be Mike M. 88hurstolds

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Where is your nose rocket decal overlay that says 20th? If that's not in there, you didn't get all of it.

rfpowerdude

G-Body Guru
Jul 15, 2013
Palm Bay, Fla
I didn't include a pic since I am not going to use it. I like the rocket emblem that came on the car better. And mine is in great shape.
Here's the nose decal

1688930518751.png

And I should have included you as someone who is "in the know". Sorry for the exclusion Mike R.!

rfpowerdude

G-Body Guru
Jul 15, 2013
Palm Bay, Fla
Also! Mike R., you had given me some really nice "OLDSMOBILE" bumper cover emblems yeeeaaaarrrrrs ago. I would like to put the one on the front on the driver's side, but need to know placement of that too.
Do you have measurements for placement of that one? And thank you again for that! And I still have the emissions sticker you made for me! I will use it once I am done under the hood.

1688931005253.png

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Technically, the 88 only had the top of the header panel Olds emblem.

But, you can use the stick on emblem up from on the bumper a la the 87 442 emblem. I’ll have to go get some measurements from one of the cars and let you know.

And no need to try and feed my ego about the 88 H/O kit. I never actually mounted my early kit. I never found the right 88 so I sold it. But yeah, it was a complete kit as well. And then ended up with light and dark side stripes.

I’m certainly not an expert on the kit but Masino is so he’d be the source for details.

rfpowerdude

G-Body Guru
Jul 15, 2013
Palm Bay, Fla
Thx Mike! I’m hoping Masino will chime in soon. Otherwise, I’ll text him tomorrow after work.

rfpowerdude

G-Body Guru
Jul 15, 2013
Palm Bay, Fla
And Mike M being the great Olds guy he is, GAVE GAVE GAVE me this:

1688952950275.png

I had asked him if he knew if there were any of the 88 H/O dash plaques left when Doc's estate was settling and selling stuff off. He said "I'll send you one. The only way to get one (originally) was to send in the registration card and they would send you one of these. It had been so long, I was thinking that I would have to repro it somehow. I definitely owe him many of his drink of choice when we eventually get to meet up. I plan to start trailering the car to Midwest events soon.

This is what it looks like on Doc's car (Mike now has):

1688953325492.png

It's finally starting to get close to done...

Reactions: 1 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
1689020110714.png

The bottom of the emblem for 81-86 Cutlass is 15/16" above the first "ledge" of the bumper cover. If you wanted, since the emblem never was there on an 88 in the first place, just get some 1" masking tape and run it across for alignment and call it a day. Only someone like me would probably notice or even care anyway.

It's JUST a BCH short of 2" from the edge of where the bumper cover bends.

Another option for left/right alignment for your 88 is to locate the gap between the LH cornering light and the headlamp. Measure in about 1/8" inward from the cornering lamp and then go straight down and that's where the "e" ends in "Oldsmobile".

Those emblems you have are both 85-up trunklid emblems, officially. The difference is they're not as pronounced as the 84-back Oldsmobile trunk emblems. Nor do they have the solid backing for the "m". The 84-back trunklid and front bumper emblems are essentially the same excep the front emblems mount with the pegs and not adhesive. If you want to nail down the front bumper emblem look, you would need to get the adhesive backed 84-back trunklid emblem GM p/n 555735.

Here's where you can use the side marker lamp to gage the end of the emblem. Can't go by the 87 442 decal because although the 442 part is the exact same size as the earlier decals, the Oldsmobile underneath is slightly smaller than the emblem.

1689020905385.png

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor