1988 Monte Carlo LS ProCharger Build (10/12/21 - Back to Painting, Switching directions for power added)

Burning

Greasemonkey
Jul 9, 2020
Bardstown, KY
Haven't made much progress on this due to the race-car taking priority.

As i start wrapping up the Cobra and start to bring this thing back into the garage from storage ive been thinking about my front fender issues ive been dreading. Was going to find a pair of SS fenders to eliminate the seamed body line that is hidden under the chrome moldings on the LS cars. My fenders are rust free and in great shape, so i think im just going to cut the fender up and weld a flat piece of sheet metal in its place. Question though, are you all using 18 or 20 gauge for these repairs?

Also ended up selling the Pro-Charger as im still in the air as what ill do for the power adder. Plan is to get this car done (driving) by the Street Rod National event in August. So i need to put some pep in my step and run this thing N/A.

Reactions: 3 users

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
Red Deer, Northern Montana territory
Maybe this?

images (9)~2.jpeg

• Haha

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
Red Deer, Northern Montana territory
There is a reason why I’ve kept a spare billet 7875 on the shelf. I had one on my last 5.3/t56 and it lit up QUICK.
All wise men have a spare billet 7875. Lol.

You don't need all the horsepowers for the non-racecar.

Reactions: 1 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Question though, are you all using 18 or 20 gauge for these repairs?

20 gauge or 22 if you’re feeling really spicy and like living on the edge. 18 gauge is too thick unless you’re building floor crossmembers, supports etc.

Reactions: 1 user

Burning

Greasemonkey
Jul 9, 2020
Bardstown, KY
All wise men have a spare billet 7875. Lol.

You don't need all the horsepowers for the non-racecar.

Nope, id be happy if this car pushed ~600rwhp. Something still with some pep in its step and makes cool noises.

20 gauge or 22 if you’re feeling really spicy and like living on the edge. 18 gauge is too thick unless you’re building floor crossmembers, supports etc.
I figured 20 gauge was the most common, figure cut a sheet roughly the same size, cleeco it in place and cut to fit.

Reactions: 2 users

Burning

Greasemonkey
Jul 9, 2020
Bardstown, KY
Well i still have yet to touch this thing really until this past weekend.

Finally dragged the car out of storage, as i near the completion of the cobra this will take next priority in the line of projects. It needs to be finished by Street Rod Nationals next year so i have some time.

Dusty from sitting for the last 18 months getting a nice paint cure! LOL
MeMEsKD.jpeg

Loaded up and on its way home.
ccKMS5X.jpeg

Picked up this minty regal dash for $50 bucks from a guy a couple hours away, ill end up making the regal portion say monte carlo. Always have been a fan of the material on these dashes vs the Monte Carlo. it came with everything attached to it as well, so i have all the bezels, screws, harnesses, etc. If anyone needs a gauge cluster let me know, this one will be for sale soon.
ZcllTWD.jpeg

Reactions: 4 users

Burning

Greasemonkey
Jul 9, 2020
Bardstown, KY
Figured after a year hiatus it was time to work on this ole pig again.

Got the regal dash all stripped apart, conveniently in the process I test fit the Holley Pro dash and it drops in perfectly. Will have to make some brackets to pull it forward and then do some cutting and plastic welding on the bezel. But it will look mint when done!

ytgYyOl.jpeg

The red marker shows what the outline of the bezel will be.

xk4KRp7.jpeg

Then the process of painting some interior parts started to happen. Didn’t get any good photos of the dash before and after but this SEM Color Coat through a HVLP gun worked flawlessly in getting an even coverage and factory look.

yykuUO9.jpeg

VtscTVC.jpeg

AdQEg9i.jpeg

kKyoALY.jpeg

Ignore the filthy car, it’s waiting to get cut and buffed lol.

a4LbNYN.jpeg

Will continue to work on some of the larger panels, then slowly start installing everything along with the Holley wiring. Have an engine and trans ready to go, just need to order the clutch pedal kit from sixspeedmonte.

Reactions: 8 users

Burning

Greasemonkey
Jul 9, 2020
Bardstown, KY
Made some more progress tonight on the interior rework.
Lower panels before cleaning per SEM tech sheet.
EQB3vOpl.jpg

Cleaned and adhesion promoter on them.
Xd27v1rl.jpg

And in color!
p4DJqjyl.jpg

Then i moved on to the arm rests repeating the same process.
j7uMswXl.jpg

IPs5NgEl.jpg

I need to find a good seat shop around here. I have an idea of what i want to do for the fronts and rears, and then have them put new inserts in the door panels after i get them redone in black as well. Thinking of doing a grand national style, but with a 03/04 twist. Instead of black cloth and gray cloth on the insert portion ill do leather on the outsides and alacantra on the inside center. Had these on my last cobra and loved them. Should look pretty sweet if they can do it!

Tq9WRUCl.png

UBSGTI7l.png

Ordered the clutch pedal setup today, so that should be coming in soon. Has anyone adapted hydrualic brake booster to their car? I saw where some people have used the diesel version and adapted, but im not sure how well it would adapt to the LS accessories. I just dont want to mess with the vac booster and running a electric pump and canister. Would really clean up the bay by eliminating those.

Also need to locate a quality brand of seat belts so i can get them in black. Anyone have a good company to reach out to?

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
Cool to see there's still progress being made. Impressive efforts for someone that had not done paint work previously.

Tagged in now for more updates.

*Late EDIT"
You guys peeling back the vinyl tops on your rides has me very nervous about my '78. I spoke to my buddy (that has a collision/custom shop) about nixing the vinyl top on mine a while back & he encouraged me to keep it because of its 'period correctness'. My logic was nix the top & do a solid/one color re-paint. That assures everything is sealed. Then, I can do the current vinyl wrap material for the 'look' w/o the known downfall of the old-school application.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor