1988 Monte Carlo LS ProCharger Build (10/12/21 - Back to Painting, Switching directions for power added)

Burning

Greasemonkey
Jul 9, 2020
Bardstown, KY
Looks like a really clean body. Congrats

Man, this thing has been insanely clean compared to some of the cars ive seen on here or heard from other buddies. The day i brought it home on the trailer i had someone offer me 3500 for the roller lol. Ive gotten extremely lucky on this one!

Reactions: 2 users

Burning

Greasemonkey
Jul 9, 2020
Bardstown, KY
Thought i would compete with NorthernRegal for cleanest floors! lol

Seriously though the only little bit of rust i can see is surface from the top and windows leaking. Got all of the interior stripped out in prep for paint. Looking at the cobwebb of wires from the stock harness under the dash, i am thinking that i may go ahead and either de-pin what i dont need or completely rewire the entire car with a Leash Strip/Street board. I have to run a fuse box for the holley anyways, the leash board can do it all for me and allows me to upgrade the wiring and connectors to modern day.
8Wvt9NBh.jpg

v8IhI0dh.jpg

We started knocking down all the 80 grit with 180 in prep for the sealer, found a couple small surface rust spots that got cleaned out when i was sand blasting so i hit them with some rust converter along with other areas i noticed around the car. We will sand these all down tonight when we finish up the 180 grit. Plan is to get the car finished sanded tonight, get the garage bay cleaned up, plastic off my work areas and create a barrier in between bays and lay some sealer on this puppy.
dM4Rn2Sh.jpg

• Winner
Reactions: 9 users

mclellan83

Comic Book Super Hero
Jun 27, 2017
Pgh, PA
I thought I had got lucky with reasonably clean floors, those baby's are mint

trailer boys GIF

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
Red Deer, Northern Montana territory
Thought i would compete with NorthernRegal for cleanest floors! lol

Seriously though the only little bit of rust i can see is surface from the top and windows leaking. Got all of the interior stripped out in prep for paint. Looking at the cobwebb of wires from the stock harness under the dash, i am thinking that i may go ahead and either de-pin what i dont need or completely rewire the entire car with a Leash Strip/Street board. I have to run a fuse box for the holley anyways, the leash board can do it all for me and allows me to upgrade the wiring and connectors to modern day.
8Wvt9NBh.jpg

v8IhI0dh.jpg

We started knocking down all the 80 grit with 180 in prep for the sealer, found a couple small surface rust spots that got cleaned out when i was sand blasting so i hit them with some rust converter along with other areas i noticed around the car. We will sand these all down tonight when we finish up the 180 grit. Plan is to get the car finished sanded tonight, get the garage bay cleaned up, plastic off my work areas and create a barrier in between bays and lay some sealer on this puppy.
dM4Rn2Sh.jpg

Dang, That is clean!

Must be cutting them up, only reason they would be that clean, to hurt those who had to fix so much for a regular street car. :unsure:

• Haha
  • Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Burning

Greasemonkey
Jul 9, 2020
Bardstown, KY
Got the rust converter all sanded down last night, sanded all the areas i blasted with media with 180 grit to knock down the texture. Temperatures were just right at 69 (F) so me and my buddy rolled the car out, blew out the garage and blew off the car. Wax and grease remover (which actually showed little dings and dents when it was wet) tacked it and started spraying epoxy. 2 Coats of PPG Epoxy on the car as it sits.

During:
9sTWV65h.jpg

zl8xB61h.jpg

After it dried for about 1 hour. Has some tiger striping on the roof that ill address when we get the Evercoat Fibertech on the seams and welded areas then respray the entire car again.
ZPXQ919h.jpg

U2ja2XLh.jpg

ZBueu90h.jpg

vzEcVslh.jpg

umQaJVYh.jpg

oZBzHX8h.jpg

nlUULrKh.jpg

Tonight we focus on the major body work around the rear quarter windows, the roof seams, and where we patched the metal in for the roof. Will also try and get a first coat of filler on the areas that we removed the trim heads for the side chrome and the roof. Trying like hell to get this thing in 2K high build by end of the night on friday so we can start blocking it out and fine tuning the body lines into next week. Trying to get the car mostly in color besides the misc. trim areas by the end of the year.

I have to admit, going from metal to primer made me smile ear to ear, I cant wait for this thing to be finish painted so i can start working on the other stuff!

• Winner
Reactions: 11 users

Burning

Greasemonkey
Jul 9, 2020
Bardstown, KY
Well boys and girls shes sitting in 2k.

Spent Thursday and Friday getting all the "Major" body work taken care of around the windows, back of the roof and couple dents here and there.
irfTDRQh.jpg

6aAd47Fh.jpg

ThnUdJFh.jpg

Got it all looking semi decent
qnQPh3Th.jpg

The sprayed it back in sealer again, followed by wet on wet application of 2k high build.
6K7n8Qxh.jpg

1L5cmVPh.jpg

ikIedhWh.jpg

efnk82wh.jpg

nSdNI3qh.jpg

2k all dried.
CLMIOh9h.jpg

VIGWDGbh.jpg

E8PePsQh.jpg

Also got some more fast goodies in! i managed to score on 2 4303 pumps for 400 bucks, fresh back from MagnaFuel with new seals and brushes.
HSep7BJh.jpg

This week ill work on stripping the hood and trunk to get them in sealer, and then working on the doors to fill in the holes from the trim and knock the nibs off. Also going to start blocking the guide coat and making some minor repairs. The car is finally progressing forward, i know ill have some more fine tuning around the rear window to get the lines from the roof back to being a little more sharp. Plan on using some masking tape and blocking to the tape to get that sharp edge again.

• Winner
Reactions: 12 users

Burning

Greasemonkey
Jul 9, 2020
Bardstown, KY
Well I definitely got side tracked!

Ended up getting the car in guide coat, block sanded and spots filled in as necessary. Its currently waiting to be resealed where down to metal, and also reprimed. The doors are completely sanded to bare metal the backsides are scuffed and ready to be sealed.
h76wKqGh.jpg

WowvA3Rh.jpg

K1XxCcdh.jpg

Ordered my 200ml 2 part caulking gun, trim screws so that i can get them installed and get the jambs backs of doors and trunk all sprayed in color. Still need to pickup my basecoat and clearcoat paint.

I also splurged a little bit during Black Friday, ended up picking up a Holley Pro dash, Automotive high flow regulator, derale fan cooled transmission cooler, and one of these sweet flex fuel kits.
ru4Xnblh.jpg

baqZIp5h.jpg

zA3KIKch.jpg

EZUfJJfh.jpg

I also found something i want to try and make for my wiring, will also make it to where my holley harness is at a bulkhead connector on the fire wall so that i can easily remove it. I love wiring and making it neat, part of my OCD so this should be fun.
UYOLvSWh.jpg

And the reason behind my car progress going so slow...i picked up a new hobby. Parting out GMT800's lol. Been making a pretty decent penny of these in the last month. Its what is helping me pay off debt and fund the race car parts.
GlJrH5sh.jpg

FtOJwHQh.jpg

NzlB257h.jpg

Reactions: 10 users

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Well I definitely got side tracked!

Ended up getting the car in guide coat, block sanded and spots filled in as necessary. Its currently waiting to be resealed where down to metal, and also reprimed. The doors are completely sanded to bare metal the backsides are scuffed and ready to be sealed.
h76wKqGh.jpg

WowvA3Rh.jpg

K1XxCcdh.jpg

Ordered my 200ml 2 part caulking gun, trim screws so that i can get them installed and get the jambs backs of doors and trunk all sprayed in color. Still need to pickup my basecoat and clearcoat paint.

I also splurged a little bit during Black Friday, ended up picking up a Holley Pro dash, Automotive high flow regulator, derale fan cooled transmission cooler, and one of these sweet flex fuel kits.
ru4Xnblh.jpg

baqZIp5h.jpg

zA3KIKch.jpg

EZUfJJfh.jpg

I also found something i want to try and make for my wiring, will also make it to where my holley harness is at a bulkhead connector on the fire wall so that i can easily remove it. I love wiring and making it neat, part of my OCD so this should be fun.
UYOLvSWh.jpg

And the reason behind my car progress going so slow...i picked up a new hobby. Parting out GMT800's lol. Been making a pretty decent penny of these in the last month. Its what is helping me pay off debt and fund the race car parts.
GlJrH5sh.jpg

FtOJwHQh.jpg

NzlB257h.jpg
That last one looks like Clutch 's old truck.

Reactions: 1 user

Burning

Greasemonkey
Jul 9, 2020
Bardstown, KY
Man, life throws some curve balls at ya sometimes! lol

Guy who i sold my old car to messaged me this weekend and said he was going to list the car for sale. Out of curiousity i asked him how much and to my surprise he offered me a deal i couldn't refuse. This car meant a lot to me, i sold it to get my now ex fiance a ring and well i always had regrets doing that and always heard it from buddies and car guys that i should have never sold it. Im beyond estatic to have this car back, albeit its in a whole lot different shape then when i sold it. The cobra mirrors, rear bumper, front bumper and trunk spoiler are all gone, the rear end i built for it is gone, and its a rolling shell right now. But i can get it back to all that in time. Picture of how it sits right now.
jLixqTQh.jpg

6CXW79Ah.jpg

n6yo7Wzh.jpg

Went to go pick it up and my truck had a really bad misfire at startup and then eventually it wouldn't even run. So i listened to the fuel pump and it sounded like it was struggling so i pulled the bed. Pulled the pump and found a milky dirty substance filled in the bucket for the fuel pump.. keep in mind this was a GM OEM new fuel pump housing and unit put in 6 months ago.
tv2QFELh.jpg

39psblfh.jpg

Drained the tank and found this in all 24 gallons of fuel.
z5xiGmKh.jpg

SVif0fQh.jpg

So im not sure what that is or if maybe someone put something in the tank or not. But its not sugar because i cant see granular. What do you all think?

• Wow
Reactions: 6 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Stop buying fuel where ever you've been buying it. And stop selling cars to buy ex fiancé's a ring.

• Agree
  • Haha
Reactions: 7 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor