1992 blazer 4.3 vortec help needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silent viewer

Royal Smart Person
May 9, 2007
i have a 92 s10 blazer that my girlfriend drives daily, well until today that is. today she calls me and tells me that it wont stay running. so i just got done trying to pull the codes and i cross the a and b jumper and nothing happens??? the engine will start up if you hold the pedal down but once you rev it up it hesitates a whole bunch and then pops almost like a back fire. it has fuel pressure and i would assume that since it will run slightly that it has to have spark. i am stumped on why i cant pull codes....

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
My first question then is does the CEL come on when you turn the key to the On position, or does it never light at all? If never, it may be a bad bulb. Otherwise, my personal diagnostic flowchart would indicate a bad ECU. THe question is, why did it fail? If it has bad wiring in the car, a new one will fry too unless you can find the fault. Sometimes a bad ECU will let the engine run, but poorly, depending on what died.

85cutlass

Greasemonkey
Dec 12, 2007
Oceanside, NY
i had a 94 blazer and it did the smae thing i think i would be on the highway driving fine then when i got off and slowed down at a light the car would start to shake then stall. then it wouldnt startvery easy. Those cars have egr valve problems they get stuck open from carbon build up. take the egr valve off it should be two bolts and a plug. there is a little pintle that moves up and down if it is stuck open clean the carbon out and put it back on it should be fine. dont know if this helps but jus letting u kno from experience.

Silent viewer

Royal Smart Person
May 9, 2007
i am going to look into all of this as soon as it stops raining long enough to get out there. does anyone know the symptoms of the spider injector going bad?

79LT1Monte

Apprentice
Nov 25, 2007
Moscow Mills, Missouri
Let me guess it feels like it has manual brakes also. I would bet my paycheck its a stuck open egr valve. They even make a gasket with a screen to fix this problem, just pull the valve, clean it and buy the new Fel-pro gasket and you won't have any more problems.

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
double check the fuel pressure. the early vortecs were VERY picky. if the pressure was off by as little as 5psi it would have major problems.
they also had the occasional problem of low fuel volume with good pressure, my brother had one at his shop do that with a new pump.

Silent viewer

Royal Smart Person
May 9, 2007
egr is fine, you can pm me for my adress to send me that paycheck, lol.

we are messing with it now and it will run but you have to keep your foot on the gas to control the idle and it will die as soon as you let off. it will pop and ping when you rev it up but if you use the gas pedal to control idle it seems to be running fine......

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
it sounds like a fuel/air issue. either the computer is seeing too much air and adding too much fuel, or you're not getting enough fuel unless you use alot of throttle.
pull a spark plug and see what color it is, this way you know if it's lean or rich.
it might be a bad MAF/MAP, i forget which those used. or the injection system/fuel pressure is bad.

it could also be a bad o2. i'd try unplugging the o2 and see what happens, then try the MAF.

Silent viewer

Royal Smart Person
May 9, 2007
problem solved. we grabed all the sensors from a blazer at the salvage yard and started swapping 1 at a time. map sensor fixed it! i now have back up sensors and even a spider injector for back ups. thanks for the help guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor