2 bolt/ 4 bolt

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
The high nickel 010 block is a myth. The casting code on the front of the block behind the timing chain cover only refers to core box patterns for block casting assembly, not nickel or tin content. All normal factory SBC blocks are made of the same cast iron alloy.
After reading waaaay too much on this (hey, I'm easily amused) I would agree, especially after reading some posts by people that claim to have worked in the foundry

Reactions: 2 users

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
After reading waaaay too much on this (hey, I'm easily amused) I would agree, especially after reading some posts by people that claim to have worked in the foundry
Bet those are also the same people who had "relative X" who worked at the assembly line or dealership to get that real one of none car ordered,

Reactions: 1 user

bracketchev1221

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2018
Bet those are also the same people who had "relative X" who worked at the assembly line or dealership to get that real one of none car ordered,
Its pretty much fact in the machine shop world that the 010 theory is all made up, but I keep that to myself. We used all different blocks when we built the engines. Core shift and cylinder wall thickness were more of a factor than casting number or 2 or 4 bolt. The 4 bolts were not necessarily weak for a performance motor, just that we were making more an more power and a splayed 4 bolt was stronger than a factory 4 bolt. So if it was a high hp small block, the 2 bolt core was more desirable. This was in like our circle track motors that ran 100's of laps in and out of the gas. But a stock 4 bolt block could go to 600 hp with no real issue. In low hp engines, we even searched for the hecho en mexico blocks because they were lighter. They could handle 4-450 hp and save a few pounds on the car weight. In today's world, the aftermarket blocks have taken over for anything other than a decent street performance motor just because it costs so much in machine work to prep a factory block.

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users

08Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Feb 9, 2014
North Jersey
I paid $300 for a 350 vortec engine, with accessories about 3 years ago. That one has a provision for a fuel pump pushrod. Ran ok but I pulled it apart, and life got in the way. But for an engine with 170k on it, it had very little wear. Must be due to the fuel injection. I also grabbed another late model long block for $130 not long after that.

Ernest

G-Body Guru
Apr 28, 2016
Texas
Reactions: 1 users

SS_Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Sep 27, 2021
Mesa, AZ
Figure worse comes to worse, you could save the hasle of looking for that hard to find engine block by going with a crate engine from blueprint engines.

Very cost affective for what you get(new everything w/4bolt mains) versus the time spent looking for used parts and peicing it together and costing you more in the long run after all is said and done from all the machine shop work.
I'm very happy with my BluePrint 383. And if you don't want a stroker engine their 355's are very nice and cost effective as well. 4 bolt main; Roller Cam; All new stuff and everything is matched. KaBam! One and done. Shop, Drop and Roll.

Reactions: 1 users

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
I'm over here with 6-bolt Mains..:cool:

BOTTOM END.jpg

• Haha

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Its pretty much fact in the machine shop world that the 010 theory is all made up, but I keep that to myself. We used all different blocks when we built the engines. Core shift and cylinder wall thickness were more of a factor than casting number or 2 or 4 bolt. The 4 bolts were not necessarily weak for a performance motor, just that we were making more an more power and a splayed 4 bolt was stronger than a factory 4 bolt. So if it was a high hp small block, the 2 bolt core was more desirable. This was in like our circle track motors that ran 100's of laps in and out of the gas. But a stock 4 bolt block could go to 600 hp with no real issue. In low hp engines, we even searched for the hecho en mexico blocks because they were lighter. They could handle 4-450 hp and save a few pounds on the car weight. In today's world, the aftermarket blocks have taken over for anything other than a decent street performance motor just because it costs so much in machine work to prep a factory block.
This ^^^^^ is what I've heard and my machine shop claims.

I take this to mean, for a hot street driver, 400hp or there abouts, any old 350 block will work and be more than reliable. For a strip car, they will will work fine also as long as you aren't taking a 250hp motor and putting a 300+ nitrous shot into it.

A stock block LS will definitely hold another 200-300 reliably, but for any thing that is serious, 4digit power, an aftermarket block is the solution. And that doesn't necessarily imply an LS aftermarket block. There are still alot of guys running aftermarket Gen1 blocks to make 1500+. Depending on who you listen to, the SBC head bolt pattern is much, much better for holding a head gasket than any LS due to bolt count and location.

Original question - what is a SBC core worth? Whatever you're willing to pay when you need one.

• Winner
Reactions: 7 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor