2 Electrical questions -

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cuse99

Master Mechanic
Dec 21, 2020
Wait, so I’m not getting confused, is the whole right side turn signal not working for all 3 bulbs or is the marker light on the right front fender not flashing? If it’s the rear marker light, those aren’t supposed to flash at all, IIRC
The front passenger side marker only, does not blink or come on with the turn signal. Inside the car on the dash the marker stays lit with the right blinker. All other lights work just fine. I swapped bulbs on the front today and the right side (passenger) still doesn't work. But if I turn on the hazards all the bulbs work and blink just fine.

I appreciate the feedback, thanks

Last edited:

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
Dawg, replace ALL THE BULBS with NEW. Diagnose from there. You're chasing your tail thinking that the bulbs "look good". The filament could have a fine break invisible to the naked eye that goes wide open when you turn it on. While you're at the parts store, get a flasher. DO NOT try LEDs, yet; that's the advanced class.

Reactions: 2 users

UC645

Royal Smart Person
Apr 20, 2020
Kittanning, Pa
The front passenger side marker only, does not blink or come on with the turn signal. Inside the car on the dash the marker stays lit with the right blinker. All other lights work just fine. I swapped bulbs on the front today and the right side (passenger) still doesn't work. But if I turn on the hazards all the bulbs work and blink just fine.

I appreciate the feedback, thanks
You’ve definitely got a main turn signal bulb problem. If any of your taillight or front turn bulbs are damaged, the turn signal on that side will stay on due to lack of resistance even if all the bulbs light up. The reason it works with the hazard switch is it’s using every bulb in the circuit, giving enough resistance to trip the flasher.
I just went through this a couple of weeks ago bench testing my cobbled together Monte/GP harness.

Reactions: 1 users

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
You’ve definitely got a main turn signal bulb problem. If any of your taillight or front turn bulbs are damaged, the turn signal on that side will stay on due to lack of resistance even if all the bulbs light up. The reason it works with the hazard switch is it’s using every bulb in the circuit, giving enough resistance to trip the flasher.
I just went through this a couple of weeks ago bench testing my cobbled together Monte/GP harness.
*also, separate flasher- 1 turn, 1 hazard

Reactions: 1 user

UC645

Royal Smart Person
Apr 20, 2020
Kittanning, Pa
*also, separate flasher- 1 turn, 1 hazard
Yeah, forgot about that

5E01AA28-4048-4152-B664-EF3C2F313490.jpeg

• Haha

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Automakers still use this trouble indicator setup in modern cars, at least American ones - can't speak to foreign sh*te.

Don't discount swapping $7 of front bulbs to fix the issue, clean the socket, with a little fresh dielectric as well.

Ended up we had a bulb bad on the 2016 mustang. Acted the same as my gbodies, but pulling and holding up to the light looked like nothing broken in filaments. Put it back together, thought flasher or resistor or something was bad... but didn't like the wait time on ordering parts.

Disconnected battery, cleaned the heat baked goop out of the socket, added all 4 new bulbs and protectant for good contact, the 120k mile car is back to normal.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Cuse99

Master Mechanic
Dec 21, 2020
Could be a ground, yes. The turn signal sockets usually go bad. They have a funky ground connection on the side.

Could be the turn flasher, too.
That's it. I was swapping the light and the blinker started working. I put it down and it stopped. I picked it up and it worked. I started wiggling the wires and the ground wire fell off. I reinserted in and held it in place and the blinker worked again.

Id like to just replace the ground connection, it should just snap into place, but I can't find a part. I did find AC Delco LS8 for the entire socket and it includes all 3 wires. I don't think I'll swap out to LED's just yet. The standard lights are working just fine. Maybe in the future. I have bigger fish to fry right now.
Making progress.

Last edited:

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
That's it. I was swapping the light and the blinker started working. I put it down and it stopped. I picked it up and it worked. I started wiggling the wires and the ground wire fell off. I reinserted in and held it in place and the blinker worked again.

Id like to just replace the ground connection, it should just snap into place, but I can't find a part. I did find AC Delco LS8 for the entire socket and it includes all 3 wires. I don't think I'll swap out to LED's just yet. The standard lights are working just fine. Maybe in the future. I have bigger fish to fry right now.
Making progress.
I tried. Just get a socket for $5-7, and wire it in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor