200 4R Won’t go into gear

Status
Not open for further replies.

SamJam05

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 2, 2021
Maine
Relatively new to the project car game, never done much further than some bolt in’s. Anyway, my trans will not go into gear, has plenty of fluid it in. Just trying to see if there’s any simple way to diagnose a fix or does it need to be pulled and rebuilt?

SamJam05

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 2, 2021
Maine
Is your linkage adjusted right? If you shift down to lower gears, does it engage? Reverse?
I had someone moving the shifter underneath by hand and it seemed to be adjusted properly. He did mention it seemed like something may have been slipping (like the collar on the splines). I really don’t know a whole lot of how exactly automatic transmissions function. Been trying to read up on it.

Cuse99

Master Mechanic
Dec 21, 2020
If you don't know enough on how to diagnose, I suggest taking to a shop, even an AAMCO. To complex and you might spend a lot of time chasing a ghost. Just a suggestion.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
If you want to learn how to fix it then say so and most everyone will offer some help, but if not, then follow the aadvice by Cuse99.

Reactions: 1 users

SamJam05

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 2, 2021
Maine
If you want to learn how to fix it then say so and most everyone will offer some help, but if not, then follow the aadvice by Cuse99.
I appreciate everything, I have plenty of time, I’d like to do the best I can to learn for sure, rather not pay a shop and put in countless hours learning. To me it’s the point of a project

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
You need to confirm if the shift shaft is moving when the shifter is moving.

You have either mark the shaft or watch it while someone is shifting it. If it's moving and you have enough fluid in it, then you need to drop the pan and see if the shift shaft is broken. If the shift shaft isn't broken, then the trans needs work.

Answer a couple of questions please, when did the trans stop working? Is this a new build? Has the trans ever worked correctly since you've had the car?

Last edited:

Cuse99

Master Mechanic
Dec 21, 2020
I'm new hear, but I agree, most everyone is helpful. Please don't get me wrong about my approach. I do like to learn but I have 4 other projects and hobbies. Back in my 20's I had a G-body, and replaced just about everything. Engine swapped myself with a buddy, mounted power seats from an IROC, plenty of other work. But now in my 50's my goal is to drive the car. I don't have the knowledge and sold most of my old tools. I could spend days diagnosing and experimenting but its easier to just pay for it. Fortunately now in my 50's, I also have more money than I did when I was in my 20's. Helps to have a very successful wife :).

Good luck to the OP. As long as you enjoy your project, you can't loose.

SamJam05

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 2, 2021
Maine
You need to confirm if the shift shaft is moving when the shifter is moving.

You have either mark the shaft or watch it while someone is shifting it. If it's moving and you have enough fluid in it, then you need to drop the pan and see if the shift shaft is broken. If the shift shaft isn't broken, then the trans needs work.

Answer a couple of questions please, when did the trans stop working? Is this a new build? Has the trans ever worked correctly since you've had the car?
I will have to drop the pan I believe then! And the previous owner said it was working the previous year (registration proves he at least had it in the road or wanted to anyway). I bought it like it is with intentions to learn anyway. I don’t plan to rebuild it myself, I just wanted to know if I could get it working myself as it is. Its also a very new build for me, I’m not afraid to spend money, but I’d prefer to do as much as I can myself, I’ve always loved everything about cars but was never stable enough until now to really dive into it.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
So have you verified it is not an external linkage issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor