2001 olds alero 3.4 project

Status
Not open for further replies.

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
Re: 2001 olds alero 3.4 project (need help)

I think your car will have the 4t40 trans. One of the common problems is the Pressure Switch in the trans and it produces the problems you are having. Unfortunately its a weak design and leads to transmission failure if left unchecked ( just like the 4t65e in wifeys impala ).

Need to get it hooked up to a proper scanner which will pull transmission codes

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio

The Auto-lock shouldn't come into play until you put the vehicle in drive. Just letting it idle with the doors closed shouldn't be any big deal.

I had a '98 Intrigue and it was setup this way.

Now on my 2008 GMC Sierra you can go into the driver's information screen and set the autolock to however you would like it to react.

dream on mcss

G-Body Guru
Jun 22, 2011
Oxford, MI

axisg said:
I think your car will have the 4t40 trans. One of the common problems is the Pressure Switch in the trans and it produces the problems you are having. Unfortunately its a weak design and leads to transmission failure if left unchecked ( just like the 4t65e in wifeys impala ).

Need to get it hooked up to a proper scanner which will pull transmission codes

sh*t how hard would it be to change the pressure sensor? I heard its under the trans pan.

And FE3X CLONE the car was in drive. The trans wouldnt leak in park.

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio

dream on mcss said:
And FE3X CLONE the car was in drive. The trans wouldnt leak in park.

Right, and I understand why it happened to you. Good reason to get in the habit whenever working under the hood of ANY car to leave the driver's side window down. ;)

I was commenting on fraido2002's post where he said he started his car up to let it warm up. If it wasn't in drive it should have never locked the doors. I used to do the same thing in my Intrigue all of the time.

dream on mcss

G-Body Guru
Jun 22, 2011
Oxford, MI

hey guys got good news. ive been driving it for the past couple days and the trans problem has sorta smoothed out. it still does it sometimes but all you have to do is let off the gas for a sec then get back on it, and she'll smooth out. i think i should update my list now:

-fix trans leak DONE!
-fix cv joint boot
-fix strut rattle
-oil change
-rotate, balance and align tires
-figure out idiot lights DONE! (need new hub)
-fix passenger door
-and finally do some obnoxious fwd drifts yo

dream on mcss

G-Body Guru
Jun 22, 2011
Oxford, MI

so i havent really had much time to work on the car, but ive been thinking about what i should do about the cv joint. i asked my auto teacher about it and he said its toast, but me and my moms bf were thinking it would be fine if we just took it off and cleaned it, since the grease in there isnt too dirty. what do you guys think? the new halfshaft would be about a hundo.

Kwik_Cutty88

Royal Smart Person
Nov 22, 2011
Coastal North Carolina

dream on mcss said:
so i havent really had much time to work on the car, but ive been thinking about what i should do about the cv joint. i asked my auto teacher about it and he said its toast, but me and my moms bf were thinking it would be fine if we just took it off and cleaned it, since the grease in there isnt too dirty. what do you guys think? the new halfshaft would be about a hundo.

I would try to clean it take it for a whip around the block and see how it does.

MrLightning

Master Mechanic
Sep 10, 2011
northeast,Ohio

but me and my moms bf were thinking it would be fine if we just took it off and cleaned it, since the grease in there isnt too dirty.

i might give it a go as a temporary measure of getting by til you replace it, but typically when they are bad, they are bad!

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ

IMO if the hundred bux is too much for the picketbook then grab one from the wreckers as a spare ( should only be $20 or so ). The one in there is going to growl and clunk until it lets go but shouldn't really hurt anything else in the process.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor