2002 Tahoe “quick flip”

WanaBa442

G-Body Guru
Aug 5, 2017
New England
I have an '02 Tahoe that'll be coming my way once the MIL quits thinking she can still drive......
85K on it but suffers from random battery drain.
Make a great tow pig.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
I have an '02 Tahoe that'll be coming my way once the MIL quits thinking she can still drive......
Make a great tow pig.
I want use mine as tow pig, but I'm scared of the 60E. It's hard to not use the 6L that sits next to it ;)

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Make a great tow pig.

I want use mine as tow pig, but I'm scared of the 60E. It's hard to not use the 6L that sits next to it ;)

If the Tahoe is anything like the yukon xl and suburban rear frame, then rip off any GM junk tow hitch before you pull much. Big time issue with them damaging the rear frame with as little as a 500# tongue weight.

Luckily mine came with a class V drawtite so I didn't have to worry, but, plenty of horror stories of guys with gm hitches and damaged frames after.

08Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Feb 9, 2014
North Jersey
If the Tahoe is anything like the yukon xl and suburban rear frame, then rip off any GM junk tow hitch before you pull much. Big time issue with them damaging the rear frame with as little as a 500# tongue weight.

Luckily mine came with a class V drawtite so I didn't have to worry, but, plenty of horror stories of guys with gm hitches and damaged frames after.
I’ve owned a 2005 Sierra 1500 since it was new. Driving this Tahoe feels almost like a car compared to it, and my truck is far from heavy duty. I used it to move my boat, and the rear was on the ground.

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
I’ve owned a 2005 Sierra 1500 since it was new. Driving this Tahoe feels almost like a car compared to it, and my truck is far from heavy duty. I used it to move my boat, and the rear was on the ground.
glad to hear you've gotten your share of work out of it.

The fairly common problem I reference is this (not my pic):

1683806612033.png

The factory framework bends at the end of the hitch because the factory hitch didn't go far enough forward on the frame. You can see how one side of the frame has bent upwards, and you can see it crushed in and under.

They make plate kits to reinforce and try to repair once the damage is done, but.. they cheaped out at the factory. The good aftermarket hitches extend further forward towards the front and prevent the issue

08Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Feb 9, 2014
North Jersey
glad to hear you've gotten your share of work out of it.

The fairly common problem I reference is this (not my pic):

View attachment 220657

The factory framework bends at the end of the hitch because the factory hitch didn't go far enough forward on the frame. You can see how one side of the frame has bent upwards, and you can see it crushed in and under.

They make plate kits to reinforce and try to repair once the damage is done, but.. they cheaped out at the factory. The good aftermarket hitches extend further forward towards the front and prevent the issue
Is this issue on the pickups as well?
As far as I know this truck was never really used for anything heavy duty, except some Home Depot runs. I bought from a coworker and he basically just used it as transportation, a lot of highway miles. This is the main reason I want to hang onto this one, but it’s going.

wskirvin

Master Mechanic
May 22, 2017
Indianapolis, In
I've got an 02 Tahoe that i've had for a couple of years now and love it. Bought it when I wrecked my 04 Denali xl due to a busted front brake hose. ended up buying the denali back from insurance for $1000, put a brake hose on it and my ol lady drove it for 8 months with zero issues. I've always loved that platform but due to work and no free time anymore to fix anything, I picked up a 15 Escalade..... I still prefer to drive the tahoe or Denali over the Escalade.

Reactions: 1 user

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Is this issue on the pickups as well?
As far as I know this truck was never really used for anything heavy duty, except some Home Depot runs. I bought from a coworker and he basically just used it as transportation, a lot of highway miles. This is the main reason I want to hang onto this one, but it’s going.
To be honest, I dont spend much time on the gmt800 pickup forums as of yet, mainly hanging around the burb/yukon xl versions due to the research, then hunt for, one of those beasties when I was debating between one of those as gas burner or a 7.3 excursion.

However, it sounds like yes, it can be, when it wasnt a dealer installed hitch. A Google search on the issue may steer you to better threads than anything I could relay as other than 2nd or 3rd hand info.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor