2004R Rebuild

Status
Not open for further replies.

83cutlassowner

Greasemonkey
Oct 4, 2009
yankton,sd
Seraphx7 said:
How hard can it possibly be if you have never rebuilt a transmission before?
trust me. leave the transmission work to the pro's. there are way to many parts and little pieces to even begin to describe. not to mention the possibility of needing special tools. its way to big of a headache to mess around with. i've had to rebuild a few transmissions and its a pain in the *ss. if you think you can do it i would recommend taking pictures as you go and making notes along with having a manual. just remember if you screw it up your going to make twice as much work for yourself when you have to take it back out and bring it to a transmission shop.

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
you'd need a LARGE flat CLEAN table and 3 or 4? i believe it is, special tools. and they're trans specific. when you take it apart you have to put every single part in order and proper orientation as you go. the real fun is the check balls.
like ^he said, leave it to the pros.

Seraphx7

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 21, 2010
Leave it to the Pros sounds good. Back home I could have it done for about 400.00, I was just quoted 800.00 here in SC. Says 3rd gear is gone needs rebuild. Only on the road for about a year and a half after rebuild.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I once did a T-400 with shift kit by myself. Took two weeks and lots of head scratching since three different books didn't cover everything. Each had some, but not all of the information. Then there is the tools. I got away with feeler gauges and calipers but it was half-*ss at best. Did it work? For a year. Save up and get it done right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor