2004r to 700r4 transmisson swap?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
helicoils will fix the stripped holes, they should have put helicoils in to begin with. Threads in aluminum should always have helicoils installed from factory

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users

hoffa65

Master Mechanic
Mar 11, 2019
Atlanta GA
I would use a quality pan gasket and NO sealer. Make sure the pan flanges are straight and flat.
I second this never use any sealers on the trans pan, just good quality gaskets, clean clean clean the pan and trans mating surfaces. As said insure the pan bolt holes are flat and do not over tighten the TV cable bolt or trans pan bolts

Pronto-

Apprentice
Dec 4, 2014
Put some trans RTV on the bolts. That's where it's leaking. Been there, done that.

Reactions: 1 user

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Put some trans RTV on the bolts. That's where it's leaking. Been there, done that.

if you have stripped threads adding RTV will not allow you to get the proper torque on the bolt. I like heli-coils the best to repair threads but this product also works well if you go by the instructions

Reactions: 1 users

jakes87SS

G-Body Guru
Jul 25, 2017
ohio
when i 700r4 swapped mine i needed a diff driveshaft and cross member, i dont get why everyone hated on the question so much, i went 700r4 as 1st was more aggressive and 4th was more highway oriented which was what i wanted. all i needed was the crossmember i had a driveshaft made and i needed the correct gears so my speedo was correct. honestly i like the 700r4 more afew more parts are available.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Pronto-

Apprentice
Dec 4, 2014
if you have stripped threads adding RTV will not allow you to get the proper torque on the bolt. I like heli-coils the best to repair threads but this product also works well if you go by the instructions

The bolts weren't stripped. The fluid was sneaking past the gasket into the pan bolts. This is on an aluminum pan but will work just as well with a metal pan. No issues after the treatment. Actually I only did it on about 4 or 5 bolts that were the culprits. This is on a trans that was built by one of the top TB 200r gurus. The tip came from another TB trans guru.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
when i 700r4 swapped mine i needed a diff driveshaft and cross member, i dont get why everyone hated on the question so much, i went 700r4 as 1st was more aggressive and 4th was more highway oriented which was what i wanted. all i needed was the crossmember i had a driveshaft made and i needed the correct gears so my speedo was correct. honestly i like the 700r4 more afew more parts are available.
The 700r4 has a steeper od than the 200r4. The 200r4 often wins in the swap discussions because it came in the cars and all that really needs to change is a crossmember and the correct throttle cable and TV cable brackets.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
The bolts weren't stripped. The fluid was sneaking past the gasket into the pan bolts. This is on an aluminum pan but will work just as well with a metal pan. No issues after the treatment. Actually I only did it on about 4 or 5 bolts that were the culprits. This is on a trans that was built by one of the top TB 200r gurus. The tip came from another TB trans guru.

Yeah i have a couple of the holes were needed to be drilled and tapped again the threads was shot in the muthas and the bolts just wasnt tightening up like they were suppose to be. Ive got it all back In the car new seals gaskets and bolts that fit havent put any transmission fluid in it yet cause i have the steering column tore apart and instead of buying anymore parts to fix the one I got and it still might not work I really would like to make it alot simpler and just find a new column fr!?!

hoffa65

Master Mechanic
Mar 11, 2019
Atlanta GA
The 700r4 has a steeper od than the 200r4. The 200r4 often wins in the swap discussions because it came in the cars and all that really needs to change is a crossmember and the correct throttle cable and TV cable brackets.
TH2004r has a .68 OD and the TH700r4 has a .70 OD. the lower the number after the decennial point the steeper the OD (slower the motor turns)

700R4 VS 200-4R Similarities

These two transmissions are so similar, it’s almost a wonder that the factory produced them both.
TV Cable

They are both controlled by a TV Cable, which is a big upgrade from the old kickdown cable of old found on the TH350 and TH400. This TV cable basically acts as a primitive throttle position sensor, which allows each of these transmissions to shift smoother and stay at the best rpm possible for peak performance and fuel economy.

The TV Cable is known to be a little finicky. Is is one of the most common 700R4 problems. If it’s even out of adjustment a little bit, it can cause the 700R4 or the 2004R to shift really hard, really early, or really late.
Overdrive

They both have overdrive gears, which is a first for GM automatic transmissions. It was ground breaking at the time. Todays modern 4L60E is a direct descendent of the 700R4. This basic design and .70:1 overdrive gear are still present in it with minimum changes. The 2004R is a bit more aggressive with a ratio of .67:1.

700R4 VS 200-4R Differences
Gearing

The overdrive gear in the 2004R is .67:1, which is a bit more aggressive of an overdrive than the 700R4. This means that the rpm is even lower when driving down the highway with the 2004R.

Gear700R4/4L602004R
First3.062.74
Second1.621.57
Third1.001.00
Fourth0.70.67

As you can see, the gear ratios of the 200-4R are closer together than the 700R4, which makes it a better transmission for drag racing.

Attachments

• 1563839569597.png
    1563839569597.png
    1,012 bytes · Views: 153
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor