2004r to 700r4 transmisson swap?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
when i 700r4 swapped mine i needed a diff driveshaft and cross member, i dont get why everyone hated on the question so much, i went 700r4 as 1st was more aggressive and 4th was more highway oriented which was what i wanted. all i needed was the crossmember i had a driveshaft made and i needed the correct gears so my speedo was correct. honestly i like the 700r4 more afew more parts are available.
The 700R4 and the newer 4L60 through 4L70E all have the incurable 3-4 clutch pack failures. I have seen it personally and the dreaded weak reverse. It does seem less finicky to build and governor changes are easier. But it can't take as much power as the 2004R. I still say the 2004R has perfect gearing and fits right where a TH350 goes. Too bad the 4L80E didn't have a better first gear and OD or it would be the ultimate big power auto.

Reactions: 1 users
Apr 9, 2017
Las Vegas, Nevada
I have a 700R4, I love it and it holds up to all the abuse I put it through with my little 400hp blown SBC, 373 gears and slicks. This is how I installed it:

1. Bought a conversion cross member, TV cable, TV cable mount, TV cable to Holley carb adapter, transgo shift kit, retrofit mechanical speedo sender, mechanical speedo gear, B&M converter lockup controller, a $75 dollar 700R4 from craigslist that "worked when removed," and had driveshaft shortened to fit.

(a) First test: drive, 1st gear, 2nd gear, neutral, neutral. drive it with two gears for several weeks. pretend this is ok, tell the wife nothing.

2. Buy 1991 suburban with massive frame and body damage with plan to use transmission and sell the rest. harvest and install transmission and sell everything else (pristine interior and solid engine) for $700 to break even, for now (foreshadowing).

(a) Drive car with all 4 gears for several weeks. Notice trans slip going up hill in 4th gear 4 hours into 5 hour road trip. Manually downshift to third on hills to preserve transmission. 700R4 identifies as a powerglide within an hour.

3. Take car to transmission shop and throw handfulls of money for techs to make the problems to go away.

(a) 3 days and $1600 dollars later I have a healthy, built 700R4.

(b) I would recommend this if you really like working on your car and lying to your wife.

4. About to spend another $800 to replace the converter because the stock lockup cant handle WOT.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
what are you doing in reverse that a weak reverse comes into play ?
Going up a slight incline is a challenge. My TH350 also had it.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
I have a 700R4, I love it and it holds up to all the abuse I put it through with my little 400hp blown SBC, 373 gears and slicks. This is how I installed it:

Bought a conversion cross member, TV cable, TV cable mount, TV cable to Holley carb adapter, transgo shift kit, retrofit mechanical speedo sender, mechanical speedo gear, B&M converter lockup controller, a $75 dollar 700R4 from craigslist that "worked when removed," and had driveshaft shortened to fit.

First test: drive, 1st gear, 2nd gear, neutral, neutral. drive it with two gears for several weeks. pretend this is ok, tell the wife nothing.

Buy 1991 suburban with massive frame and body damage with plan to use transmission and sell the rest. harvest and install transmission and sell everything else (pristine interior and solid engine) for $700 to break even, for now (foreshadowing).

Drive car with all 4 gears for several weeks. Notice trans slip going up hill in 4th gear 4 hours into 5 hour road trip. Manually downshift to third on hills to preserve transmission. 700R4 identifies as a powerglide within an hour.

Take car to transmission shop and throw handfulls of money for techs to make the problems to go away.

3 days and $1600 dollars later I have a healthy, built 700R4.

I would recommend this if you really like working on your car and lying to your wife.

About to spend another $800 to replace the converter because the stock lockup cant handle WOT.
This is either the stock 2004R or 700R4 stock behind power. I did see TCI has a 2.75 and 1.52 gear set for the 4L80E, it may be the way to go. Too bad there wasn't a .70 OD gear set as well.

Reactions: 1 user

gnvair

Royal Smart Person
Sep 1, 2018
Southern New Jersey near Philly
I love the thinking. Spend time and money modifying the car to take an inferior used transmission rather than just having the original one rebuilt. At this point the newest 700 r4 is 25 + years old so unless you can prove or have evidence that it was rebuilt you're back into the same situation you are currently in with your original transmission. It doesn't make sense. I would just have the original 2004r rebuilt if it was me.

Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor