2004r to th350 swap??

Status
Not open for further replies.

J.Rod22

Greasemonkey
Oct 4, 2009
Georgia
What do I have to do to swap my 200-4r to a th350? I know the 200-4r is better but at the moment I don't have the funds to get a upgraded 200-4r. Thanks

bill

Royal Smart Person
Jul 11, 2008
southside va/lake gaston
You will need to change the crossmember which you can get from a 200metric trans car. driveshaft should be the same length, IIRC....you running dual exhaust?

J.Rod22

Greasemonkey
Oct 4, 2009
Georgia
bill said:
You will need to change the crossmember which you can get from a 200metric trans car. driveshaft should be the same length, IIRC....you running dual exhaust?

Im not running dual exhaust at the moment but I plan to.

bill

Royal Smart Person
Jul 11, 2008
southside va/lake gaston
The xmember for a stock exhaust will be fine, but you will have to knotch it for the other pipe down the road. Or you can buy a dual exhaust crossmember now and not have to worry about it later. I have a stock crossmember if you need one...send me a pm if your interested.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
I made my 2004r crossmember work with my TH250C, moved it forward and drill a couple of holes. You will also have to adjust your shift linkage but everything else bolts holes on. I am replacing it with a TH350C, 102 day used warranty $150. I like the 2004r much more also but it is more difficult and expensive to build.

J.Rod22

Greasemonkey
Oct 4, 2009
Georgia
olds307 and 403 said:
I made my 2004r crossmember work with my TH250C, moved it forward and drill a couple of holes. You will also have to adjust your shift linkage but everything else bolts holes on. I am replacing it with a TH350C, 102 day used warranty $150. I like the 2004r much more also but it is more difficult and expensive to build.

So I can use the same shift cable from my 200-4r? Do I have to add anything else?

brettlaage03

Greasemonkey
Mar 30, 2010
SW Wisconsin
I bought my car with a th350 already swapped in. It originally had a 2004r and it looks like someone just moved the crossmember forward and drilled new hole and it works ok. I wish they would,'ve left the 200r4 in there tho. The driveshaft will work without being shortened or lengthened I read in a super chevy article.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
You could try the TH2004R cable but the TH350 hooks up the same at the motor. I think the end might be a different size, trans to trans.

bill

Royal Smart Person
Jul 11, 2008
southside va/lake gaston
olds307 and 403 said:
You could try the TH2004R cable but the TH350 hooks up the same at the motor. I think the end might a different size, trans to trans.
the 2004r cable is a different design and setup than the th350....one is a throttle valve/ controls shifts..the other is a downshift/ detent cable. the difference in length of the shifter cable and the bracket under the console will make the swap a bit more of a pain, going from a 4speed setup to a 3speed... Id get a 3speed shifter and cable and a trans cable/ bracket...make life a lot easier....let me know what ya need...i swapped out my 3speed trans for a 2004r so I have a lot of this stuff if you need it....

KrisW

G-Body Guru
Oct 24, 2007
Lakeland, FL
If money is the issue, then you need to buy a good, used 2004R, and then save the money to have your old one rebuilt for reliability.

This one is 500 bucks, not too far from me:

http://orlando.craigslist.org/pts/2837692352.html

Now, for 500 bucks you have the best 2004R to start with, the Grand National piece with the better valve body arrangement. It is working good enough to keep your car going down the road, and no modifications are needed.

How much do you figure it will cost to put a TH350 in? Add the price of the trans, the detent cable, and whatever else you have to do to the crossmember or driveshaft, depending on what TH350 you start with.

There's also eBay...

Not sure what your budget is, but your car looks nice enough NOT to hack it up by putting something in it that is not as good as what you are taking out.... I know how it is to be on a budget; I am on a severely limited budget for every project. I'm just throwing out what I would probably do. I have seen used 2004R transmissions go for a hundred bucks or so from the junkyard, then you are just a new filter and oil away from running down the road. Then I'd rebuild the old one in my garage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor