2004r trans and info (I got numbers) need decipher

Status
Not open for further replies.

85GPLef41

Royal Smart Person
Nov 14, 2008
Colorado
Looks like a trans out of a 83-84 olds b or d body with a 307... If im wrong somedbody correct me. :lol: I replaced the th350 of my car with one out of a 84 olds delta 88 before my current czf code 2004r. I beat the snot out of it and it wouldn't die but it was behind the old 305. I would have reused it but the input pump shaft splines were really thin. A common problem unless you get a hardened input shaft.If your going to swap it make sure you get a g-body crossmember or a aftermarket one. The dust shields are different for chevy and olds 2004r transmissions. As for the two wires i think you could wire a on/off switch to activate the lock-up converter. I used a B&M kit that uses manifold vacuum to accomplish the same task. I would keep my out for a performance one and have a good base for a rebuild. I have bought two 87 SS ones for $150 each. One was bad so i found another and it had a shift kit installed already. Not too excited about either though. So now im just going to bite the bullet and get one built right. I found a shop that would do it with some upgrades for $600. There is a guy selling a fully rebuilt one with 29k for $350 but don't know what mods if any were done.
Good luck and keep us posted on what you do

patmckinneyracing

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2009
San Antonio, TX
I got a lot of guys over on teamchevelle.com telling me that the OG coded 200-4r is a junk transmission. Everyone is telling me that it is cheaper just to find a transmission shop and they will probably have a core for cheaper. Especially down here in san antonio, g bodys are the norm so i can probably find a 200-4r for cheap. I'm gonna go digging in the junkyards this thanksgiving break.

There is a problem though. I'm reluctant to do this swap just because I already have my TH350 and b&m starshifter. I dont know how much it would cost to actually do this swap. Then I would have to get a b&m sport, mega, or hammer shifter that can handle an auto 4 speed. So how much do you guys figure this swap would cost? I can re-use my crossmember in my bu cause it origionally came with a 200 and I just drilled holes and moved the crossmember further back to accomodate.

I'm already doing a cam swap and rebuilding the engine with gaskets and etc. I just wish I had a set of 3.42 gears instead of my 3.73's then I wouldn't even be considering a transmission swap.

DrP

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 10, 2009
Indiana
The best 200 4R trans have an 'F' as the 3rd digit of the letter code. ie. CZF, above. These are 1986 and later. Some of the costly items usually installed by a specialty trans builder are already in these trans.
The G body 200 4R trans have the following codes:
Chevy, CR; Monte SS, CQ, CZ.
Buicks, BY; turbo-T and GN/GNX, BQ, BR.
Pontiac, CC, CY, CH; 2+2, CA.
Olds, KB, KJ, KT; Hurst, OZ, KZ.
The question about a Caddy with a 200 4R trans are coded AA, AP.
The 'F' upgrade trans have different hydraulic control components and the rotating group is about the same.

art

Greasemonkey
Apr 24, 2009
Absecon, New Jersey
I didn't see what car you wanted to put this transmission in so I'm guessing it is your Malibu. You will need a different crossmember for the 200R4 on account of the mount being further back on the case. Otherwise, it is a "bolt in" swap.
The wires are in deed for the "lock up" feature in the converter. 200R4 converters are a breed to their own from what I have discovered thus far. While you don't have to use the lock up, (it is an analog transmission) it will reduce your cruise RPM by about 200. Overdrive is a blast. I put one in my 81 regal which was a v6 T-200 car. I bought the crossmember out of a later monte, made the frame extension, and notched it for dual exhaust. Your T-350 shifter will not work with this transmission without some changes, which I am not sure you can even do. I still use the column shifter which freaks folks out. (ha!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor