200r4 help needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jord13

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 23, 2010
When I first got my car it drove just fine but after driving it for a while the transmission is starting to act up. It doesnt seem to slip or anything but it seems to shift from 1st to 3rd at times and then if your just cruising around town and slow down to take a corner it will not downshift so when you come out of the corner you bog down and the only way to get it to downshift is put your foot on the brake and it downshifts to the gear it should be in. Ive messed with the Tv cable and adjusted it but it does not seem to help. Any advice would be helpful. I have a build turbo 350 with a B&M shift kit and a 3500 stall converter that I thought about installing but was not sure if it would be worth it. I have the stock 305 in it right now if that makes a difference.

sounds like the torque converter clutch solenoid, the converter is staying locked up and when you come up to a stop it bogs the motor down, its not to hard to replace and runs about $50.

I am with stss95. Keep the 3 speed for a drag car project. The lil 305 needs all the help it can get so for a street car the 200-4R would be the shitt with some 3.73 or greater gears. If you ever cam the 305 a good say 3,000 stall lock up converter will also really help her get out of the hole and still cruise nice with great mileage. If you go higher stall & smaller they get expensive but a stock size 3k you can get cheap. But at that you would want a good shift kit.

x3 all of the above a correct. Just had the same problem you are describing TCC was the blame drop trans pan and replace easy fix

Thanks for the help. I will get that taken care of and hopefully that fixes the problem. I do have a 3500 stall converter for a turbo 350 transmission, would that be interchangeable with the one in the current transmission and would it do me any good?

A TH350 converter WILL NOT work in a 200r4

Even it that 3,500 stall non lock up converter would have fit which it won't it would be too much for your stock cammed 305. Plus lots of heat and slipping at cruise rpm and poor gas mileage. Miss match.

My 305 is not cammed, it is stricktly stock at this point. I will just do the repairs to the 200 and keep it. Also does anyone know how i can tell what I have for rear end gearing. Its got a 7.5 rear end but I have no clue what its running for gears. Im really new to all this v8 rear wheel drive stuff. I did some stuff with 4 cylinder front wheel drives for a while and realized that american muscle is so much better.

What model is it. Probably 2.41 would be my guess. take the cover off and count the teeth....

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor