200R4 lockup question

Not open for further replies.


Mar 1, 2016
I have a 1987 Monte LS. It was a 305 4bbl car with a 200r4 trans. About 10 years (and only 5000 miles) ago I swapped the 305 out for a 355 and went off the computer and emissions stuff (Edelbrock intake, cam 1406 carb) and went with a TH350 trans. I recently got a 3:73 posi unit out of a MCSS and would like to swap back to my original 200r4 trans. My question is being as I never removed the stock computer from the car will/can it still control my converter lockup function or will I need to add a lockup kit (TCI, B&M, Bowtie OD) I also got a Boss Hog converter off the clearance shelf at Summit for $90 (score!) its says 1600-2200 stall.
Thank for all the help

V8 Rumble

Royal Smart Person
Jan 7, 2010
I have been curious about this since this thread. I haven't found anything that suggest you can use go non ccc and continue to use the ecu for lock up, Looks like you will need a lock up kit.

This is some interesting reading. http://www.montecarloss.com/community/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=245007

I am using this kit for mine since I don't want to worry about toggling the lock up and and off. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/prf-60110 It is a bit pricey. There are cheaper options out there since you mentioned a few already.
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor