200r4 non lockup torque converter

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyrus_the_great

Greasemonkey
Sep 8, 2009
IRAN
hi guys,

after several months i found a 200r4 and i have a few questions ...

1. can i use torque converter from thm350 on my 200r4 ? ( i guess no)
2. can i use that kick down or tv cable from thm350 on my 200r4 ( i guess yes)
3. how to have lockup with my 200r4 ( it has a 4pin electric connector) i found a non lockup torque converter today and seller guy said it 's from a 700r4

86-blk442

G-Body Guru
Dec 2, 2008
West Seneca, New York
A th350 converter won't work on the 200-4r, nor will its kick down cable. Two different types of cables. A converter from the 700 will only work if it is the early 27 spline unit. Gettng lockup is easy several kits are available or you can just run a toggle switch with 12v to the A and D leads on the connector.

beermonkey9417

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
des plaines, il
the kick-down cable iirc is diffrent from the th350 to the 200-4r, also you WANT a lockup converter other wise you will create alot of heat and burn up yer trans. the 4 pin connector can be bought and you can wire it as a stand alone unit or have a switch like i did in my elky.
also take a look at this website, if you need to rebuild your 200-4r heres the best place to start.
http://store.boxwrench.net/KD-Tool-2398 ... _p_84.html
they have a video and a tool that helps alot. for some reason i can understand better if i can see it, rather than read a book about it. also there may be some helpful info on my link for my elky build try starting on page 24.
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=8386

TexasT

Master Mechanic
Mar 20, 2008
Texas
You NEED the "kick down" but it is actually a throttle valve cable. This cable regulates the transmission pressure in relation to the throttle position. More throttle should get more transmission pressure. It needs to be setup properly for your carb so you don't inadvertently burn up the trans clutches with lows pressure.

http://www.tvmadeez.com/ This should get you started.

A non lockup converter will require a modification and different valve in the pump and removal of a captured check ball. Noting major but needed to run a nlu converter.

http://www.coanracing.com/PDFS/InstallI ... -92847.pdf

While you have the pump out, check out the splines on the stator support. If it isn't an upgraded hardened piece, now is a good time to install one.

Have you decoded the tail tag?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor