200r4 or 700r4 behind a 350 sbc

Status
Not open for further replies.

87oldscutsup

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 24, 2016
just recently picked up a 350 4 bolt rebuilt engine. All new parts. pistons, cam, oil pump, springs, intake, quick fuel 650 carb, hei distributor and fuel pump. was wondering which transmission would be best for this engine. looking to get a 700r4. I already have a 200r4 stock any information would be greatly appreciated. thanks

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
The 200 is an easier swap, but either is going to require stiffer gearing in the rear. Both will require 3.42-4.11 depending on your tire size. The advantage of the 700 is a much lower 1st gear that will really helps motivate a 3.42 gear off the line, but the down side is the big jump from 1st-2nd. If you have enough motor, then it really isn't an issue, but if you're sub 300 HP, then that jump will make it seem sluggish when it hits 2nd gear. I'm running a pretty stout 200 with 3.73's and 26" tire and have no complaints.

Qdub24

Royal Smart Person
Sep 6, 2006
Columbus, GA
No comparison, the 200-4R. I hate the 700R4s.

oldmansmonte

G-Body Guru
Oct 29, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Having owned both, I think they are both fine transmissions. Pros to each. Mine has a mild shift kit and bangs into gear real firm and nice. Doesn't chirp into gear but I didn't want it to be that hard. However, it's definitely harder than any factory car could have ever been sold. Having said that I'd go with the one with the easier install, and for you that's likely the 200-4r. Again not by a huge margin. Just make sure pay attention to setting up the tv cable. Plenty of instructions online. Main thing to remember is if it feels like it is doing something it shouldn't. Pull right over. Don't wait even an extra 50 feet. And of course, hit the forums and ask.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor