200r4 stalling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wax_442

n00b
Aug 3, 2012
Orange County, California
Before i prepare to trade in an arm and a leg for transmission work, I was wondering if someone can give me some advice and help me out a bit with this issue.Took the 442 out for a spin this afternoon but my car seemed to be trapped in first gear.I could feel torque and power but it would just never advance and give me smooth shifts.Has anyone ever experienced something like this?(86/442,headers,mild cam,5A heads,stock Rochester,trans fluid level/ok)

wonderboy24

Royal Smart Person
Jul 10, 2012
Davenport, Iowa
well not sure if those have a module on the side trans or not, but could be that or vacuum hose to the intake could be split some where,could also be trans filter.just shooting ideas out for yah.

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
That can happen if your TV cable is way too tight. I would check that first. Did this problem just suddenly appear?

82cutty

Greasemonkey
Aug 3, 2008
If it is not shifting as you go then you have either a module issue or vacumm issue. You should be able to pull it back to 1st and shift manually all the way up to drive. Find where your module vacumm lines come up to the engine and unplug it, it should make the car idle differently. If it does I say replace the module, if not then it should be a vacumm issue. Just my ex.02 cents and have done both.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
TV cable probably too tight. If it isn't coming out of first gear, get ready to pull the pan, it is the governor.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Disregard the "module" suggestions. The 200-4R has no modulator or vacuum reference. Olds307 and 403 is probably on the right track. If the cable is too tight you'll get very delayed and harsh shifts. It's unlikely that the cable just randomly got too tight on it's own. It is possible that the spool valve that the cable pushes on got debris that hung it up. With the engine running, give the cable a few hard tugs. Hopefully that will free it up. If that isn't the problem it's likely that the governor spit a spring. That's a known issue that you can specifically research.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor