200r4 trans question

Status
Not open for further replies.

85GPLef41

Royal Smart Person
Nov 14, 2008
Colorado
I just bought a trans out of a cutlass 442 and i am wondering if it would bolt up behind a chevy 350 engine. i already have a 200r4 out of a 84 oldsmobile delta 88. but i got a good price on one that looks freshly rebuilt. I think the cutlass is a 85-86 442. I am also getting the crossmember and the torque converter. Is this trans as good as the Grand National one?

that's one of the dual bolt pattern trans. it will bolt to chevy or BOP (as a double check just count the bolt holes--more than 4 IIRC means dual-pattern) t
he 442 calibration isn't as good as the GN but it's one of the top 3, the other being the monte ss.

more than 6 is still more than 4, right? just kidding, i give myself a :blam:

3n33m53o81f512b14591k286cfae18af619fc.jpg

Dual bolt patter bellhousing.

Now my question is, did you get the rear end out of the car too?

well.......NO!!!!!!!! :evil: :evil: i saw this car at a pick and pull last Sat complete! i asked the dude what was up and he told me it would go out in the yard in a week or so. i asked him if i could get the rear and he told me no cuz he was waiting for a title. i was practically begging him after i asked him how much. he told me 65.00 dollars but told me to come back in a week. i went back this morning and the car wasn't in the last place i seen it so i asked a worker about it and he said the car was in the processing area. i asked about the rearend and he told me that the owner gives a guy around here that does rearends first dibbs and he snatched it up. :cry: the guy told me that he was adament about getting that diff. so in short no even though i obsessed over this diff over the weekend lol!!! Now its still going to be a week before the car goes out in the yard but i paid the guy there to pull the trans me. BTW its a Hurst olds not a 442. NOW i was thinking of trying to pull off parts before it goes out in the yard. the parts that are missing are the shifter, t-tops diff, hood scoop, rear tail ends, wheels, as far as i can remember. I swear i felt like crying cuz this car is in really good shape and its sitting there getting parted out. the guy said it ran and drove fine.

Grab the dual snorkle air cleaner if it's still there by the time you get to it.

What a shame. A lot of perfectly savable and even valuable cars get boned out everyday. Oh well... At least some of its parts will live on,

My bad i forgot to mention it was gone too :cry: i know the guy was pissed cuz it got parted out before he could try to sell it whole.

Well if it was a Hurst and not a 442, the rear might not have been a big loss. Some things I've read said that the Hurst only got the 7.5", some said 8.5". Only thing I do know is that of the two I've seen in person, one of each year, both had the 7.5" rear.

I've always wanted one of those shifters though. That would be the perfect touch to my Regal.

Damn and to think i had a woody all weekend for the wrong part :lol: Is the trans still worth it? I can't seem to find any solid info on it. would it hold up to a Chevy 350? I read somewhere that its rated for 180hp cant remember the torque though. Anybody have this trans other than a hurst? opinions......

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor