2010 Sierra - need some info

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rt Jam

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2020
Ontario Canada
Lol... no.

I used to work in a transmission shop, built many of them things, definitely more to it to upgrade than an "upgraded drum".
I've had a couple trucks with 4L60's. Since I had many trouble free miles, I've learned to like them. I do like the gearing for heavy truck with a gutless engine.

What issues to you see in a stock truck? LOL

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
On that vintage GM truck you should look closely at the frame rails and brake lines. Especially the two rear rails. The one over the gas tank the the one behind the spare. Both of mine look like swiss cheese. Same with our 2010 Yukon.
You say "vintage" but then again a 13yr old truck in the land of the salt is probably a stretch, don't see that here.

08Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Feb 9, 2014
North Jersey
Rebuilt enough of them from stock trucks to know the weak points. Tow anything with some weight and it's on borrowed time.
Some how I’ve gotten 165k on the one in my 05. I’ve towed a boat with it since new. Started with an 18’, then up to a 22’ for most of the time. Eventually it’s going to go, just like my rockers and frame rails.

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
The biggest thing I've seen that kills any automatic transmission, somebody gets stuck out in the woods in a hole and they're rocking back-and-forth between reverse and drive, the fluid heats up and it just burns everything up.

Then again that is sitting still, radiator and fans only do so much it's not moving down the highway with air coming through the front of the vehicle.

4L60E is light duty. We had a recipe to make them strong but they just only hold so much.

4L80E is much better but that's a heavy pig.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
3/4 Clutch pack is the first one. Only 4 friction rings if that many from the factory. We would pack 13 in there similar to how the 700R4 is setup. It makes a difference. Then a Corvette Servo or Billet Super Servo, Race Band, Transgo HD2 Kit for the Valve Body. 5 Pinion Planet. Turn up the EPC a hair. Pretty sure a block on the 2nd accumulator also, been a few years since I was in one. Never needed to do a Billet Drum.

That's more of an upper build but it lengthened the life. 3/4 Clutch Pack maxed out and upgraded Servo with EPC turned up a hair is the minimum I would do.

Then again everyone has their methods. As you see there's more to it than just a drum.

I've tuned some with my Laptop also and that's a whole different level of tweaking.

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
The biggest thing I've seen that kills any automatic transmission, somebody gets stuck out in the woods in a hole and they're rocking back-and-forth between reverse and drive, the fluid heats up and it just burns everything up.

Then again that is sitting still, radiator and fans only do so much it's not moving down the highway with air coming through the front of the vehicle.

4L60E is light duty. We had a recipe to make them strong but they just only hold so much.

4L80E is much better but that's a heavy pig.

How about constantly hunting for a gear? I've heard that's a killer too. Defensive city driving with a torqueless 5.3 in a heavy truck will have it all over the place in that regard.

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
How about constantly hunting for a gear? I've heard that's a killer too. Defensive city driving with a torqueless 5.3 in a heavy truck will have it all over the place in that regard.
As far as it up shifting and down shifting all the time? Seen that was a thing more in the 6spd autos since they bounce between gears more.

• Agree
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor