2017 Hotrod Power Tour

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
As an Infantry Officer I must say that I find your assessment of the value of "uncomfortably" warm water to be laughable. You really need to gain some perspective and stop sounding so entitled.

Top tip: Pack a small cooler and some ice to cool the water. Take one out, put one in. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Caution: You may have to replace the ice daily in order to continue to keep your water cool.
I sound entitled because I don't want to drink hot water on a day where the heat index is over 100 and ambient temp is 99? Ok man.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
As an Infantry Officer I must say that I find your assessment of the value of "uncomfortably" warm water to be laughable. You really need to gain some perspective and stop sounding so entitled.

Top tip: Pack a small cooler and some ice to cool the water. Take one out, put one in. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Caution: You may have to replace the ice daily in order to continue to keep your water cool.
Also, I don't need to gain sh*t for perspective. I don't rightly care what you, or anyone else would have done in the same situation. It was hot. It was a HRPT venue in the middle of June with overpriced water. Oh well. I wouldn't have bought a cooler, ice, water, and all that crap just for being outside for about 5 hours. And I thank you for your service, and I'm sure you're a cool guy, but bringing it up out of nowhere makes you sound like an *ss.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
It would've been a waste. It was so hot there, after about 5 minutes the water would get hot. Drinking hot water on a hot day is near vomit inducing. Plus it would've been a p.i.t.a to keep going all the way to the front of the venue ever 10 minutes for water.

warm water on a hot day is easier on the body and actually cools you down more than a cold water.....I carry water in my car all the time and it's always at room temp, even if I am working on my car on a hot day. After all our body temperature is 98.6° so room temperature water is close our body temperature so the body does not have to work to warm up cold water

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 3 users

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
warm water on a hot day is easier on the body and actually cools you down more than a cold water.....I carry water in my car all the time and it's always at room temp, even if I am working on my car on a hot day. After all our body temperature is 98.6° so room temperature water is close our body temperature so the body does not have to work to warm up cold water
While that may be true, cold water is a lot easier to stomach, at least for me. I hurled when I drank hot water. It wasn't room temp, it was HOT.

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Also, I don't need to gain sh*t for perspective. I don't rightly care what you, or anyone else would have done in the same situation. It was hot. It was a HRPT venue in the middle of June with overpriced water. Oh well. I wouldn't have bought a cooler, ice, water, and all that crap just for being outside for about 5 hours. And I thank you for your service, and I'm sure you're a cool guy, but bringing it up out of nowhere makes you sound like an *ss.

There are many times in my life/career I would have really appreciated access to cool water. But, also felt damn lucky to be lugging around 5L of warm water on my back on top of one hundred pounds of gear. So while we were on Power Tour 2012 we took the time to read the weather report and saw it was going to be hot, tossed some water in the cooler in the trunk, grab a few cold bottles, walked around in running shoes and shorts (for 5 days!), looped around and get more cold water and kept walking, its was pretty easy to handle. Consider yourself fortunate you have access to clean cool water at any price, that is a First World luxury.

Have you even considered why the cold water is $4 per bottle at the venue? A company has to buy it, store it, ship to the location, cool it, pay the venue to be able to provide the service, pay someone to serve it to you at the stand, and remove the waste. All of that logistical overhead and convenience due to your lack of planning and impulsiveness is why it costs what it costs.

And no I am not a cool guy, nor am I trying to be - just an honest man who has a low-level of tolerance for reading about such trivial things. I suggest you just set me to "ignore".

Last edited:
  • Agree

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
Sorry Joe

no offense taken. i completely understand. i made the same stop in 2013 when power tour came through quad cities.

thank you for your service,
i have found from many years of working in non-a/c shops that the best liquid to drink is water, room temp is actually best, too much cold water is actually bad for me, i get stomach cramps. same with jumping in and out of a/c areas, cars, customer lounges. i used to work with a man from hampton ia, he used to help out on the farm when he was younger, they would drink hot tea in the summer, it help them sweat, and sweating would help cool them. very simple principle.
we bought a flat of water in k.c. and had a cooler we would fill with a little water and a little ice from the hotels. worked great. we ran all 5 stops (1900 miles) in a car with no a/c.
the worst was madison, il. on wednesday. we got into the track around noon, temp was 96 and dew point was 76. very tough to sweat with much water in the air.
i have learned that the more i b*tch about things i can't control, the worse i feel. so i stopped bitching. it amazing how good i feel most of the time.
joe

Turbo Zach

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 8, 2015
Well for me. I had a small cooler with a couple bottles of water and a big cup too, just was not enough. I would have drove to the store and come back, but I was having starter issues. So lessons learned. Let's see some pictures da*n it!
2017-06-18 22.32.59.jpg
2017-06-18 22.34.13.jpg
2017-06-18 22.33.46.jpg
2017-06-18 22.34.45.jpg

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa

Turbo Zach

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 8, 2015
I like odd stuff people build them selves. The GTO I think was the last year of it. The cross ram intake was in 57 Chevy and is efi.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor