2017 OK/MO Route 66 G-Body Cruise

Status
Not open for further replies.

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
This event is happening! I haven't made up t-shirts or flyers or anything like that, but in order to get the ball rolling, people making plans etc. here's what I propose we do:

We want to gather a few (or several!) G-body fans and cruise Route 66 from Tulsa Oklahoma to Springfield, MO.... and then spend the rest of the day at the O'Reilly Fall Street Machine Nationals on Saturday September 23rd 2017. so...

Consider this the planning thread. No "feelers." This is now fact.

(Fri. Sep 22nd)
  • Anyone wanting to come in from surrounding areas should arrive in the Tulsa area. We can meet up that night TBD. We should probably do that anyway for whoever is here.
(Sat. Sep 23rd)
  • 6am (!?): Start gathering at the Blue Whale in Catoosa OK on Route 66 (or nearby). Just Google it and its really really easy to get to. Alternately at GBF headquarters.
  • 7am: On the road. We should probably stop a few times for checkpoints, gas, stragglers, etc. but the details have not been ironed out. The entire route should be mapped out ahead of time so nobody gets lost(!) We'd have to account for lunch. Maybe breakfast.
  • ~11am-12pm: Arrive in Springfield and meet up with anyone coming from other directions. We'd like to enter the show all at once so we hopefully get parked together. I was there in 2015 and there didn't appear to be any organization that I could see.
  • ~12pm - 8pm: Hang out at the show, people can leave at their own leisure if needed. The event closes at 8pm.
  • after 8pm: We part ways and head back at our own speed, or stay the night in Springfield...
They changed the Springfield event to be a one-day affair. I cannot find any info on cutoff times for entries or judging or anything like that (which could change the plans.) But I will update when I can find out. There is supposed to be a burnout contest if you're so inclined. In 2015 they had an autocross set up but I can't find any mention of that this time. It looked like they weren't letting just anyone run it then, though. IIRC someone had a dyno trailer set up, and there were vendors galore. Acres and acres and acres of cars.

Registration for the Springfield show and parking/admission for your support vehicle(s) will NOT be included in any cruise registration fees if any. Pre-registration is $35 until Sep. 15th and you need to handle that on your own. (see the link above) Day of show is $55. (ouch)

Any cruise registration fees will go towards a t-shirt/dash plaque and time/materials putting this together. You'd be welcome to tag along unofficially for free but you wouldn't get those cool ultra-rare collectibles lol ... or get any kind of assistance if you broke down (since we wouldn't know.)

Non-Gbody cars are more than welcome to come along, too! More the merrier. "Support vehicles" are fine to follow.

I realize this timetable might be leaving some people out for various reasons, but we have to start somewhere. If there's enough people in the OKC area who would want to do something on Friday leading into this, I'm all ears. Likewise for the return trip to ~Tulsa.

Progress on this event may be slow up until the end of March. After that I am leaving my day job to pursue my online businesses full time, so I will have 7000% more time to work on this stuff, including GBF and GBodyNation.com. (and the cars!)

None of this is set in stone yet. Except for the Springfield Nationals and associated costs, that's not up to me.

Discussion welcome. LMK if this is total crap or if this is something you can work with. I'm fine with 3 cars and I'm fine with 30. As things progress I will edit this post in the thread, so that there's a reference. I will also make a post/page on GBodyNation.com when a few of the details are ironed out.

Disclaimer: I have never arranged something like this before, so "I have no idea what I'm doing" would be appropriate here. Any advice and guidance from those who actually have is more than appreciated.

[Update 2/7]
I played with Google maps a bit and came up with this. I *think* this is the official Historic Route 66 map. I could be wrong. Some of the turn by turn stuff could be screwy because Google.

https://goo.gl/maps/ocTdtMqDcvz

Screen Shot 2017-02-07 at 10.57.54 AM.png

Let me know if the link doesn't work. Google says 4h16m in good traffic. So.... 5 hrs might be pushing it. We will see I guess. Getting there is half the fun, right? Probably meet up with others heading the same direction I wager.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
I'll do my best to have the car running and make the 3 day drive down from Canada.
dude. if you pull this off.... well I dunno but I'll have to do something.

Reactions: 1 users

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
Like award him a "Long Hauler" plaque. I think HAFROD had that idea already, though. That's a dedicated GBody owner, right there!!!

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
Updated the top post with probably route info/map.

Reactions: 1 users

timo22

G-Body Guru
Sep 10, 2012
St. Louis,Mo
I'm thinking I'm in. Looked at the map and it looks downhill from St. Louis to Springfield. Anybody else from STL area interested? Maybe we could have a caravan from the northeast and we could converge on Springfield. Hoping I have my Bonneville going but if not, got the trusty Malibu...timo22

Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor