2019 Challenger Widebooty HellKitty (she's giving me the meatsweats...)

Status
Not open for further replies.

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
So I've signed up for the double-header autocross event next weekend; will be racing Saturday and Sunday. I am going to be exhausted.

Anyway, one of the things I've noticed that all the cool kids are doing, and this has changed substantially since I was last in the driver's seat, is the use of Race Render to do data overlays on laps. In my day we used to just tape a potato to the dash and smear some Vaseline on the lens. The good news is that Race Render is a HPTuners product and from what I have seen/tested thus far it is a good interface.

1595733345069.png

This is just me importing data from HPT without any GPS or video footage, of which I have neither from the last session. Overall it is pretty user friendly, and looks like it should be able to create workable results. I'll trial it on the free software this weekend and if I need to I will buy a licensed version. Hopefully I can get a test rig up and running in advance and see what's what.

I fear that I may have limited access to the onboard GPS and yaw sensors using HPT and it eating up my one OBD port. So, I may look into a stand alone GPS reciever and feeding that into HPT's EIO brick (which is why I bought all of those spares).

Reactions: 2 users

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Is race render part of the HPtuners base software package, or an add on? Do you need V4 to interface? Im assuming you dump the data file in somehow and offset the start.

I am still on V3.6 of my hptuners and am hesitant to join skynet for V4 since word has it it phones home and the mothership can kill your license now. Not that I am doing anything dishonest but I want the ability to do dishonest things :)

Reactions: 1 users

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Oh and was your car number 747 because you had the biggest piece of machinery on the runway? :p

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
So I've signed up for the double-header autocross event next weekend; will be racing Saturday and Sunday. I am going to be exhausted.

Anyway, one of the things I've noticed that all the cool kids are doing, and this has changed substantially since I was last in the driver's seat, is the use of Race Render to do data overlays on laps. In my day we used to just tape a potato to the dash and smear some Vaseline on the lens. The good news is that Race Render is a HPTuners product and from what I have seen/tested thus far it is a good interface.

View attachment 152655

This is just me importing data from HPT without any GPS or video footage, of which I have neither from the last session. Overall it is pretty user friendly, and looks like it should be able to create workable results. I'll trial it on the free software this weekend and if I need to I will buy a licensed version. Hopefully I can get a test rig up and running in advance and see what's what.

I fear that I may have limited access to the onboard GPS and yaw sensors using HPT and it eating up my one OBD port. So, I may look into a stand alone GPS reciever and feeding that into HPT's EIO brick (which is why I bought all of those spares).

Race Render is indeed a good product. The fact that it plays with HPT makes me jelly as a EFILive owner.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
  • Haha
  • Agree

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Is race render part of the HPtuners base software package, or an add on? Do you need V4 to interface? Im assuming you dump the data file in somehow and offset the start.

I am still on V3.6 of my hptuners and am hesitant to join skynet for V4 since word has it it phones home and the mothership can kill your license now. Not that I am doing anything dishonest but I want the ability to do dishonest things :)

Totally stand alone. As long as V3.6 can export the *.CSV log file you are laughing. Pull that and other datalog/video in and sync it all up.

The cool thing I found was that you can snapshot and export a specific portion of the log and leave out the nonsense/dead time.

This might be a blast for the drags too.

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
As the coffee slowly makes its way into my system I am learning about a few more options for getting GPS and G force data independent of HPTuners or using the BCM. Basically I can just grab an old phone (of which I have plenty) and boot up my Torque Pro app and simply log GPS and the accelerometer. Export that log and import it into RR.

I could just set up Torque Pro to datalog all the parameters and just use the CSV, but then I wouldn't have the HPT file to reference. Which is less of an issue for autocrossing, but more of an issue for drag racing. And I would like to just have one system/approach.

EDIT: http://www.racerender.com/TrackAddict/docs/Interop.html

Users of the "Torque" app: Torque has been known to hold a connection to the OBD device in the background, which makes it unavailable to TrackAddict and others. To shut that down, launch the Torque app, tap its gear icon at the bottom left, and select "Quit". TrackAddict should then be able to connect to the OBD device. You may need to repeat those steps after any time you use the Torque app, or if you restart your Android device.

I may try an OBD port splitter and see if I can log both HPT and Torque at the same time.

Last edited:

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
This was surprisingly achievable with a little farting around. Syncing the files as perhaps the hardest, or at least most time consuming, part. I still have to see if I can bring the Torque Pro data in too. Until then, enjoy some blower whine:

• Winner
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor