22 x 30 Garage - Steel Prefab or 2 x 4 Frame Construction or Prefab

Status
Not open for further replies.

ed1948

Royal Smart Person
Aug 6, 2016
Quinte West, Ontario
Just rolling some thoughts through my mind and causing an echo.
Anyone ever build any of these and why shouldn't I?
Whenever it will be it'll be largely a DIY job with most expenses spared.
My Dad built several wood framed garages and cottages in his time but at the age of approaching 92 he can only give advice.

online170

G-Body Guru
Oct 28, 2010
What are you doing for a floor? Concrete slab? Gravel? or..

I have not built one personally, but going by what i saw my friend do, the most costly part is the concrete floor. Beyond that, theres a kit you can buy to do whichever way you choose, prefab or wood and i believe they cost about the same either way. The kit is like buying a sandwich from a fast food joint. You have a general idea and size of what you want, and you kind of pick the options you want along the way. The kit will include most things you need, wood, trusses, window, garage door, side door, siding, shingles, etc... depending on what you choose. You will have to buy the little things like nails, tools, caulking, that sort of stuff.

I was pretty impressed with these kits. With the kit and youtube, i think anyone can build one these days.

My personal preference is that prefabs look really ugly. I bet they get hot in the sun, and cold in the winter too. No first hand experience with them though.

bob64

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2017
Niagara Falls, Canada
Depends on height you need, some type of lift ? On a foundation short wall with pad or just a pad ? 2" x4" is only good for so high.
If outside wall is 24' you can fit 3 cars in it as storage, tight but works.
I friend of mine just bought a prefab wooden 20'x30'x12' ceiling's an we check pricing on the individual pieces an we couldn't get it cheaper so he bought the kit. He had to put a pad down and he has to put shingles on.
Just some thoughts.

online170

G-Body Guru
Oct 28, 2010
I should mention, my buddy's is 14' ceiling and its actually 2x6 construction.

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
I should mention, my buddy's is 14' ceiling and its actually 2x6 construction.
First thing to think about, what ever size you build, in 1 month it won't be big enough. I built a block garage 24X32X12 in 94. With a contractor doing it, it cost me $24,000, then the pad cost $ 5,000, radiant tube heater $2500, fantastic in the winter. If I was doing it today, I'd make it at least 12 feet wider, with higher than average garage door, you may want to work on a truck at some point. What ever way you go, good luck, plan for no regrets, and enjoy.

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
First thing to think about, what ever size you build, in 1 month it won't be big enough. I built a block garage 24X32X12 in 94. With a contractor doing it, it cost me $24,000, then the pad cost $ 5,000, radiant tube heater $2500, fantastic in the winter. If I was doing it today, I'd make it at least 12 feet wider, with higher than average garage door, you may want to work on a truck at some point. What ever way you go, good luck, plan for no regrets, and enjoy.
I have to correct my self, the garage itself was $12,000 not24

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor