231 Even-Fire Guru sought

Oldscarnut

Master Mechanic
May 10, 2017
NW Washington State
Sizes are the same but not all blocks transfer oil from the pass side galley to the driver side galley the same way. Some have grooves in the block, some do not (ie 3.8 vs 4.1)
TA cam bearings with dual groove dual feed work with either style
Thanks I will give it a whirl. TA it is. It did not answer my basic question which is - is there a difference in cam bearing inside diameters? The cam races are larger diameter than the bearing. It is not a tight fit, it is a no fit. Could it be an aftermarket cam or different blocks. I have never heard of overboring the journals so it mist be the bearing thickness. Any Idea what engine calls for a slightly larger bearing and where the cam is also slightly larger. The cam was in this block and the bearings were acceptable but I replaced them in prep for the new cam to come. BTW mine has the long grooves to the oil ports kin the bearings on 1 and 4. The old cam will not fit in the new bearings...they are simply too small ID

Oldscarnut

Master Mechanic
May 10, 2017
NW Washington State
Chuck, just wondering if you are still looking for an engine? I have access to several 78 and after RWD 231 which should be "Even Fire". Not to say that 76 to 77 "Odd Fire" engines are not there, I just know the current V6 Buicks in the yard are 80s vintage.

From what I've read all the tooling was sold to Kaiser Jeep in early 70s, late 60s. I'm familiar with the 225 Dauntless, not so much with 231. But I can look. If they are available I can pick one up, I usually get the cores as builders for about $250 to $350.

I also have access to FWD 3.8 (231) Buick 3800. But as FWD would probably need adapter plate, I've heard of it being done, just haven't my self. I don't have any 3800 with the Eaton Supercharger, but can send a request out and see what happens.
I have a solid block and good heads so I don't need a whole engine, just an aluminum 4 bbl intake

Oldscarnut

Master Mechanic
May 10, 2017
NW Washington State
Had two, used one and the other went to live on a shelf somewhere. Still would look like this, except perhaps a little duster, from when I bought it and shelved it. (Always photo parts these days for insurance purposes.)

View attachment 230174

Unfortunately, I'm sure I paid more than many would for it, but, it's one of those things I figured if I didn't buy when I saw it, I wouldnt find when I wanted it. Also not helpful, located almost as far away from you as geographically possible in the lower 48 so shipping definitely wouldn't be cheap.

But, if you can't find something thats cheap, and also local to you to reduce shipping costs, this one isn't going anywhere in the meantime unless I buy something to put it on.

Oldscarnut

Master Mechanic
May 10, 2017
NW Washington State
I hope you haven't found something in your place to put it on. I have had many searches to no avail, so please et me know your asking price for the intake and I will see what I can do. Shipping is to 98252 so you can get a ballpark There is no hurry and I have Paypal [email protected]

Thanks,

78Delta88

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
May 23, 2022
SW Arizona
All I have available right now is oem iron two barrel.

I missed out on a 3800 with the Eaton. Trying to drive and bid at same time.

Last edited:

WAGOOON

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 19, 2023
Thanks I will give it a whirl. TA it is. It did not answer my basic question which is - is there a difference in cam bearing inside diameters? The cam races are larger diameter than the bearing. It is not a tight fit, it is a no fit. Could it be an aftermarket cam or different blocks. I have never heard of overboring the journals so it mist be the bearing thickness. Any Idea what engine calls for a slightly larger bearing and where the cam is also slightly larger. The cam was in this block and the bearings were acceptable but I replaced them in prep for the new cam to come. BTW mine has the long grooves to the oil ports kin the bearings on 1 and 4. The old cam will not fit in the new bearings...they are simply too small ID
I've never come across a buick v6 block that had larger or smaller cam bores or needed an odd size cam journal, they've all been the same. All of the blocks I've built have been "109's" from the mid 80's, TA aluminum V6's, or Buick Motorsport Stage I and Stage II blocks. The 109 block was used across the board in turbo and non turbo applications.

Oldscarnut

Master Mechanic
May 10, 2017
NW Washington State
I've never come across a buick v6 block that had larger or smaller cam bores or needed an odd size cam journal, they've all been the same. All of the blocks I've built have been "109's" from the mid 80's, TA aluminum V6's, or Buick Motorsport Stage I and Stage II blocks. The 109 block was used across the board in turbo and non turbo applications.
Thank you, so my guess is I have the wrong set of bearings. TA will take care of that. My block is definitely cast iron as are the heads. So out with the in bearings and the third time should be the charm with better oiling too!

Oldscarnut

Master Mechanic
May 10, 2017
NW Washington State
I've never come across a buick v6 block that had larger or smaller cam bores or needed an odd size cam journal, they've all been the same. All of the blocks I've built have been "109's" from the mid 80's, TA aluminum V6's, or Buick Motorsport Stage I and Stage II blocks. The 109 block was used across the board in turbo and non turbo application

Thank you, so my guess is I have the wrong set of bearings. TA will take care of that. My block is definitely cast iron as are the heads. So out with the in bearings and the third time should be the charm with better oiling too!

I uninstalled my cam bearings and tried to fit them over the rear camshaft race. 3 of the 4 absolutely would not go over it. The 4th was a very snug fit, too snug in my experience as the camshaft usually goes in without additional force just a turn or two. So my guess is, if these are for Buick V6, they may be early or odd-fire? No matter what the four bearings were not for this camshaft, even though they fit in the block. In any case I was going to order the TA cam bearings and this time before installing I will see whether they go over the furthest rear camshaft race as it must clear all 4. Yes?

So even with all the information I could give them they got the application wrong and the write-up stated 64-87 Buick V6.

Makes me wonder if I need the 1 59/64 cam plug or 1 61/64.

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
I uninstalled my cam bearings and tried to fit them over the rear camshaft race. 3 of the 4 absolutely would not go over it. The 4th was a very snug fit, too snug in my experience as the camshaft usually goes in without additional force just a turn or two. So my guess is, if these are for Buick V6, they may be early or odd-fire? No matter what the four bearings were not for this camshaft, even though they fit in the block. In any case I was going to order the TA cam bearings and this time before installing I will see whether they go over the furthest rear camshaft race as it must clear all 4. Yes?

So even with all the information I could give them they got the application wrong and the write-up stated 64-87 Buick V6.

Makes me wonder if I need the 1 59/64 cam plug or 1 61/64.
So, here's the thing. Correct cam bearings on the 231 varied by year, particularly if you've got a 109 block (1986-87 casting).

Pre-1985 blocks were different, and, supposedly all four the same diameter, 1.19175, and #1 only is wider. The 109 block used bearings 2 & 3 OD is 1.9175 and 1 & 4 OD is 1.9375, and, #s 1&4 are BOTH wider.

So, the question becomes partly what you were sent, and, what it was supposed to be for.

Or am I misunderstanding what's not fitting? Very possible. Took the pain meds early tonight

Reactions: 2 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor