231 Even-Fire Guru sought

Oldscarnut

Master Mechanic
May 10, 2017
NW Washington State
I have decided to not send my 1980 Buick V6 to scrap. It was replaced in my El Camino with a 350 V8. It has the non-adjustable weird shaped two barrel which I will not be rebuilding and so Ededlbrock intake is on the list.with and Edelbrock 4 bbl carb. What I want to find out is a cam profile that will pumch up the power without going all the way to Stage 2, and sources for bolt on parts ie headers, pistons, oil pump etc. In the late 70's I had an odd-fire 231 in a Olds Starfire (Chevy Monza Clone). I only bolted on headers, replaced the cam and used adjustable push rods with the Kenne-Bell cam It was unbelieveably quick and had torque enough to pull a car trailer! Anyone who has the article from 1976 about Kenne-Bell? Can the same cam profile work in even fire ie lift and duration? Comp cams does not seem to have an HP cam. I actually want a lopey idle. I would love to hear from anyone who races V6 about mild builds without a wholesale parts exchangest and machining. I want a sleeper and my intention is to find a nicer G-Body to drop it in. PS NO TURBOS PLEASE...been there done that, bought the shirt!

WAGOOON

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 19, 2023
Check out TA performance. They have all the goodies to support a good N/A build. I build turbo motors, but for items like the front cover oil pump assembly it won't matter one bit turbo vs non turbo.

DSS racing piston in Illinois has a good selection of pistons with decent compression ratios off the shelf.

I'd also suggest using a stock turbo crank and turbo rods. You should be able to get them cheap, all the turbo guys tend to go forged aftermarket (which is still also pretty cheap). I have a nice stock turbo crank and rods here that I would've sold you cheap but it's already spoken for. Cheap being like $200 for the whole setup.

With a stock turbo bottom end balanced, ported heads, and a healthy cam and springs you should be able to pull to 6000RPM.

Reactions: 1 user

Oldscarnut

Master Mechanic
May 10, 2017
NW Washington State
Check out TA performance. They have all the goodies to support a good N/A build. I build turbo motors, but for items like the front cover oil pump assembly it won't matter one bit turbo vs non turbo.

DSS racing piston in Illinois has a good selection of pistons with decent compression ratios off the shelf.

I'd also suggest using a stock turbo crank and turbo rods. You should be able to get them cheap, all the turbo guys tend to go forged aftermarket (which is still also pretty cheap). I have a nice stock turbo crank and rods here that I would've sold you cheap but it's already spoken for. Cheap being like $200 for the whole setup.

With a stock turbo bottom end balanced, ported heads, and a healthy cam and springs you should be able to pull to 6000RPM.
That's great to know and thanks for the sources. I was always amazed by how my odd-fire 231 came to life with just cam and lifters and I also had the carb re-jetted. Now to find a G Body in the PNW that is not a rust bucket and hasn't already recieved its transplant. Seems easy enough hahaha! I will do the head work except machining andthis should be fun...yes that is an overused word for gearheads...maybe with a little sarcasm added! Twice pipes is going to be difficult I know already!

Oldscarnut

Master Mechanic
May 10, 2017
NW Washington State
I am getting ready to reassemble my 3.8 Buick (non-turbo) and I was hoping to find someone that has an aftermarket intake (Edelbrock or Offenhauser) that fits my 1980 engine. So many have yanked these engines for LS versions, I figure someone has some parts they will let go for a price less than new. Any advice would certainly he accepted. I have the cast iron OEM that would be difficult to find a two barrel that works. Thw wierd tri-oval non-adjustable 2 barrel is worthless and useless IMHO.

spidereyes455

G-Body Guru
Mar 6, 2013
Northeastern PA
There also was an OEM aluminum 4bbl intake for the Buick v6, it came on the 4.1 in the 80's

Reactions: 1 users

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Had two, used one and the other went to live on a shelf somewhere. Still would look like this, except perhaps a little duster, from when I bought it and shelved it. (Always photo parts these days for insurance purposes.)

20231024_201359.jpg

Unfortunately, I'm sure I paid more than many would for it, but, it's one of those things I figured if I didn't buy when I saw it, I wouldnt find when I wanted it. Also not helpful, located almost as far away from you as geographically possible in the lower 48 so shipping definitely wouldn't be cheap.

But, if you can't find something thats cheap, and also local to you to reduce shipping costs, this one isn't going anywhere in the meantime unless I buy something to put it on.

Oldscarnut

Master Mechanic
May 10, 2017
NW Washington State
Had two, used one and the other went to live on a shelf somewhere. Still would look like this, except perhaps a little duster, from when I bought it and shelved it. (Always photo parts these days for insurance purposes.)

View attachment 230174

Unfortunately, I'm sure I paid more than many would for it, but, it's one of those things I figured if I didn't buy when I saw it, I wouldnt find when I wanted it. Also not helpful, located almost as far away from you as geographically possible in the lower 48 so shipping definitely wouldn't be cheap.

But, if you can't find something thats cheap, and also local to you to reduce shipping costs, this one isn't going anywhere in the meantime unless I buy something to put it on.
Thank you! I will definitely keep you in the top of the list! Shipping is a necessary evil and not a concern. I once bought a fast ratio steering gear and talk about a chunk of metal! I am likely a few months away from the actual build but I appreciate your honesty! If we get to that point I have PAYPAL if that works for you.

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
Thanks I will be wandering the salvage yards. I bet they were snapped up by the V6 fans
Less common of an engine in the regals, but the bigger cars used it more as a base engine. Think riviera, lesabre, eldorado, seville etc etc.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor