EL CAMINO 273 r&p replace

Status
Not open for further replies.

bill cook

Apprentice
Apr 22, 2016
What is the easiest way to kick up the rear ratio,been lookin for a 342-1 rear on long island NY for a long time no luck basically a bolt in ,i’ve Restored the 79 elky interior front end FB Trans,good wrench eng,brakes etc ,nice runner but that 273 rear just doesn’t make my day I have never rblt a rear ,so that’s new to me !any suggestions?

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
I'll answer your question a different way. By the time you fix your rear axle the right way, you'll have $1500 in it, and it's still a 7.5. How about a 700-R4 overdrive transmission with the steep 3.06 first gear, and a powertrax locker you can drop into the differential yourself? This way, you have a 0.70 overdrive, and I think you'll like the combination with your existing 2.73 gears. You will need to modify your crossmember to move the mount back 2" and also you set up a non-computer lockup for it - click on my icon and there is a link on my profile on how to do this.

bill cook

Apprentice
Apr 22, 2016
I'll answer your question a different way. By the time you fix your rear axle the right way, you'll have $1500 in it, and it's still a 7.5. How about a 700-R4 overdrive transmission with the steep 3.06 first gear, and a powertrax locker you can drop into the differential yourself? This way, you have a 0.70 overdrive, and I think you'll like the combination with your existing 2.73 gears. You will need to modify your crossmember to move the mount back 2" and also you set up a non-computer lockup for it - click on my icon and there is a link on my profile on how to do this.
I have a 2004r
i just had f&b install a 2004r transmission w/stall conv in oct of 18 for the od ,had a 200c ,which was goin ,also there’s a posi rear in the car now but 273,not lookin for a racer but would like more go off the line !

bill cook

Apprentice
Apr 22, 2016
I have a 2004r

i just had f&b install a 2004r transmission w/stall conv in oct of 18 for the od ,had a 200c ,which was goin ,also there’s a posi rear in the car now but 273,not lookin for a racer but would like more go off the line !

Reactions: 1 user

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
An OD with a 2.73 rear gear, even with 14" tires, will make OD almost non-useable. What size tires are you running?

If you can handle the swap, a couple of things to keep in mind. If you go higher numerically than 3.08, then you will need to change the center section as well because the the 3.08 and lower are considered a 2 series and higher is a 3 series. The gears are spaced differently depending on the series. There is a spacer that can be bought, but it's a bit too Rube Goldberg for me. From there you have to determine if you want a posi - most everyone does, but I'm confident you 2.73 is a peg leg. If you can live without a posi, then the price just got cut in half. Used open 3 series diffs are borderline free. From there your into a $150 for gears and $100 for a bearing kit if you can do the work yourself. If you can't you ought to expect $300-500 for a shop to complete it for you.

I understand that there isn't alot of love for a 7.5, but if they are put together correctly then they will withstand 300-350HP easily for many years.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
We were posting at the same time. If your 2 series is a clutch style posi, then perhaps using the spacer would suffice.

bill cook

Apprentice
Apr 22, 2016
We were posting at the same time. If your 2 series is a clutch style posi, then perhaps using the spacer would suffice.
I haven’t opened the cover as of yet ! ,just spun the wheels to figure the ratio,I want to go 342 or 373 ,I know my od does not work properly the transmission guy told me that because of the stall conv !,but this guy bids racing trans ,ship all over the country and was recommended by a friend who races,he had a 323 ,but i’d Like to go up some ! As for the spacer ,I really don’t know what your referring too !

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mgr-075050/overview/

OD doesn't work correctly? You should have 4 obvious gears and then the converter should lock in OD. I'd understand the converter not locking correctly, but OD will not be affected by a converter. What is your converter (who made it)?

• Agree

bill cook

Apprentice
Apr 22, 2016
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/mgr-075050/overview/

OD doesn't work correctly? You should have 4 obvious gears and then the converter should lock in OD. I'd understand the converter not locking correctly, but OD will not be affected by a converter. What is your converter (who made it)?
I think u misunderstood me it works but ,I guess it freewheels because of the 1500 stall conv ,i can’t explain it’s not something that i’m Too familiar with,I wish I just had a 4 speed stick or a tremac ! ,the transmission guy said the rear needs to be lower for it all to work ! ,I guess ? Not my field of endever !

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor