283 instead of a 305?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bar50

Royal Smart Person
Jan 1, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Oh, I would build 283 over a 305 anyday, but, I would build a roller cam 350 because of how cheap and easy it is now. I can only imagine how much a set of 283 pistons costs.

I still believe the small block Chevy is a cheap, viable option.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

330 uhc

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 4, 2017
Yeah, like a 327 I'm gettin old...cars need a tach...I need a meter of some kind for every new ache or pain that shows up every day that I make it to...but you know there's hot rodding and then there's speed...there's always that twin turbo sleeper crawling the street you just can't beat...but style...that's always cool...so I may be slow, but hope to look good doing it...besides high comp motors sound like they want to run...350's came along with their inherent 20 extra horse...but 327's properly tuned were 396 killers in their day...and for the young dudes on this site don't forget that your radical toyota turbo into montecarlo freaks are cut from the sme cloth as my cousin back in the forties dropping a Merc motor into a mopar, a caddy into a stude, or a olds rocket motor into any car with a flathead...its all rock and roll...its all good...now if you'll forgive me I need to drink my ensure, put on my depends and take my nap...

• Winner
Reactions: 4 users

GAMERA355

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 4, 2008
Bellflower,Ca
Back in the day, I swapped out my 267 in my 79 Malibu for a 283. I ran it with a Performer plus cam ( 2102), Performer intake with 600 Holley (1850-3) and 305 heads (416). It was a very decent street car. What I loved about it was that it loved to rev to 6K without sweating. It was a nice upgrade over the 267 hands hown. Eventually i moved up to a 350 bored .030. The torque increase was night and day. i say get it and have some fun.

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Found this 1963 283 on craigslist in my area for $175

View attachment 71848

The dude says it turns freely, and that he's moving up to a 355 so that's why he's getting rid of it. If I were to buy it for my El Camino, would my accessory brackets all go on correctly? Like the power steering and alternator and AC and stuff. Could I use the same starter, spark plugs, distributor, fuel pump and radiator fan etc?

I don't really know anything about engine swaps, and I've been saving my money to pay for schook recently but I just thought this might be a steal and a fun project to work on during the weekends.

Also, as far as vehicle inspection goes; would my car be exempt from emissions since the engine is pre 1975? (Fyi it's my daily driver and must be street legal. I just took it through inspection last week and she passed).

Sorry if any of these are dumb questions

That is why its illegal under Federal law to install a engine that is older than the car. A replacement engine must be the same year or newer than the car itself. This closes the loophole of installing a pre emission engine into a low emission car to get around inspections. A 880 Vortec engine would be far better swap.

el camino ss 84

Master Mechanic
Oct 23, 2016
Nw okc
My Malibu has a turbo 283 currently. I run 305 ho heads which have the same compression ratio and the 283 heads so I can run a serpentine setup. It's totally rebuild to be able to handle the turbo I have hooked up to it. I would choose a 305 or smaller cubic inch motor over a 350 any day. Ive had a 350 can say it was dependable that's about it.

88ss408

Master Mechanic
Feb 25, 2007
baie st anne n.b
If your bottom end is gone. And you can get this motor cheap enough. I say get it and swap the heads and aluminum intake.
it will get you going again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor