283 instead of a 305?

Status
Not open for further replies.

85442/86buick

G-Body Guru
Feb 12, 2013
Perth Country , Ontario
saving money for school , rebuilding old engines plus the swap .

will mix like oil & water ..........................

if you need to replace your current engine , buy something that you at least can hear running maybe even driving.

and learn all the in's & out's of the emission laws in regards to engine swaps in your state, before hand.

and yes I have learned the hard way ..........again & again

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
You have gotten the consciences - it was a great little motor but why would you want to buy something that's about 3 times older than you are.
You can do a lot better.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Found this 1963 283 on craigslist in my area for $175

View attachment 71848

The dude says it turns freely, and that he's moving up to a 355 so that's why he's getting rid of it. If I were to buy it for my El Camino, would my accessory brackets all go on correctly? Like the power steering and alternator and AC and stuff. Could I use the same starter, spark plugs, distributor, fuel pump and radiator fan etc?

just cause it tuns freely means little, it may turn freely by hand with all the plugs in it. Your picture answers the question if you can use the ps pump, alternator and ac compressor, there are no holes in the heads.

Reactions: 1 user

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
283's were great little engines, along with 327's. They were popular engines in Tri-five Chevys and hotrods back in the day. Guys would put 327 fuelly or doublehump heads on them. I knew guys that were able to wake these engines up. However, I wouldn't consider putting one in a G-body car...they are a bit dated....and don't have the accessory holes like everyone had mentioned.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

LukeZ

G-Body Guru
Apr 24, 2015
Delaware
Waste of time and money, got it lmao. Thanks for the advice, guys. Ill hold out for something better in the future

EdontheBeach

Master Mechanic
Feb 29, 2012
Indian Rocks Beach, FL
like Jack said 283s and 327s were great motors - i've had a few of both, i like 'em...lots of rpm there. IF you're an engine guy, why not get it? someday you may have an appropriate car for it. at the same time, i'm a 305 fan, too. no, they don't make a ton of power but they are smooth, last a lot of miles and stone reliable, if you have a car that is just a street cruiser they are plenty adequate.

Bar50

Royal Smart Person
Jan 1, 2009
Tulsa, OK
I don't know prices where you are at, here a motor from the pull-a-part yards are $150-250

Grab a 96-02 vortec 350 from a Suburban, Tahoe, Yukon, pickup, van, etc.

Straight rebuild, rings, bearings, gaskets. Find some heads that fit your budget, used vortec heads, unless checked at a machine shop are likely cracked. Spring for a GMPP OE roller cam like the LT4 Hot Cam, or any of the ZZ cams.

If the Vortec heads check out, add LS2 blue valve springs and Comp Cams 787-16 retainers. No machine work needed, good to .575-.585 lift.

Vortec headed 350 with an LT4 cam is an easy 375 horse motor. With flat top pistons its 400-420.

Google it.

You will need an electric fuel pump.

No rocket science.

Reactions: 2 users

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Based on the OP's budget and lack of experience I would say he should stick with a direct replacement that already runs and requires nothing but a R & R. in my opinion.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

330 uhc

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 4, 2017
Well I gotta agree on the unknown 283... looks like its been hot and around the block a few hundred times...basically the same as your 305 without the accessories...however you new school guys talk about 327's like they're passe'... I still see a lot, tho they're getting scarcer...I'm doing one now...10.25 compression, 250 horse with base cam...swap in some dart heads, a lunati voodoo cam, some arp bolts and a few other things...like racing fuel instead of no lead and light em up...yeah I know...not so much for a smog body car to be legal...and yeah ls and lt nu school stuff is faster, but if speed is the only consideration how come they're casting new flatheads engines?

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
"however you new school guys talk about 327's like they're passe'..."

330 I hate to say it we are getting old and they are out of date - the last 327 was made 48 years ago and the 350 was 15 years ago. The SBC had quite the run and is still a viable power plant for car enthusiasts. The 327 was my favorite engine, (it was in my heyday) and had one pulling 380 HP in 1968

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor