1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

283 instead of a 305?

Discussion in 'Engine / Swaps etc.' started by LukeZ, Aug 10, 2017.

1. 85442/86buick

85442/86buick Greasemonkey

saving money for school , rebuilding old engines plus the swap .

will mix like oil & water ..........................

if you need to replace your current engine , buy something that you at least can hear running maybe even driving.

and learn all the in's & out's of the emission laws in regards to engine swaps in your state, before hand.

and yes I have learned the hard way ..........again & again

2. lilbowtie

lilbowtie Royal Smart Person

You have gotten the consciences - it was a great little motor but why would you want to buy something that's about 3 times older than you are.
    You can do a lot better.

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. pontiacgp

pontiacgp Rocket Powered Basset Hound

just cause it tuns freely means little, it may turn freely by hand with all the plugs in it. Your picture answers the question if you can use the ps pump, alternator and ac compressor, there are no holes in the heads.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Longroof79

Longroof79 Geezer

283's were great little engines, along with 327's. They were popular engines in Tri-five Chevys and hotrods back in the day. Guys would put 327 fuelly or doublehump heads on them. I knew guys that were able to wake these engines up. However, I wouldn't consider putting one in a G-body car...they are a bit dated....and don't have the accessory holes like everyone had mentioned.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. LukeZ

LukeZ Master Mechanic

Waste of time and money, got it lmao. Thanks for the advice, guys. Ill hold out for something better in the future

6. EdontheBeach

EdontheBeach Greasemonkey

like Jack said 283s and 327s were great motors - i've had a few of both, i like 'em...lots of rpm there. IF you're an engine guy, why not get it? someday you may have an appropriate car for it. at the same time, i'm a 305 fan, too. no, they don't make a ton of power but they are smooth, last a lot of miles and stone reliable, if you have a car that is just a street cruiser they are plenty adequate.

7. Bar50

Bar50 Royal Smart Person

I don't know prices where you are at, here a motor from the pull-a-part yards are $150-250

Grab a 96-02 vortec 350 from a Suburban, Tahoe, Yukon, pickup, van, etc.

Straight rebuild, rings, bearings, gaskets. Find some heads that fit your budget, used vortec heads, unless checked at a machine shop are likely cracked. Spring for a GMPP OE roller cam like the LT4 Hot Cam, or any of the ZZ cams.

If the Vortec heads check out, add LS2 blue valve springs and Comp Cams 787-16 retainers. No machine work needed, good to .575-.585 lift.

Vortec headed 350 with an LT4 cam is an easy 375 horse motor. With flat top pistons its 400-420.

Google it.

You will need an electric fuel pump.

No rocket science.

• Like Like x 3
  8. 565bbchevy

565bbchevy Comic Book Super Hero

Based on the OP's budget and lack of experience I would say he should stick with a direct replacement that already runs and requires nothing but a R & R. in my opinion.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. 330 uhc

330 uhc Not-quite-so-new-guy

Well I gotta agree on the unknown 283... looks like its been hot and around the block a few hundred times...basically the same as your 305 without the accessories...however you new school guys talk about 327's like they're passe'... I still see a lot, tho they're getting scarcer...I'm doing one now...10.25 compression, 250 horse with base cam...swap in some dart heads, a lunati voodoo cam, some arp bolts and a few other things...like racing fuel instead of no lead and light em up...yeah I know...not so much for a smog body car to be legal...and yeah ls and lt nu school stuff is faster, but if speed is the only consideration how come they're casting new flatheads engines?

10. lilbowtie

lilbowtie Royal Smart Person

"however you new school guys talk about 327's like they're passe'..."

330 I hate to say it we are getting old and they are out of date - the last 327 was made 48 years ago and the 350 was 15 years ago. The SBC had quite the run and is still a viable power plant for car enthusiasts. The 327 was my favorite engine, (it was in my heyday) and had one pulling 380 HP in 1968

• Like Like x 1