Oil change?

• Informative
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 users

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
Looks like $50 in steel and a couple of hours with a chopsaw and welder. If it were me, I would connect the legs near the bottom with square tube.
Maybe $50 in used/discarded steel from a steel yards scrap/drop pile. Online steel sources for 2x2x.188 wall sq tube for just 12"L uprights would be @ least $100 & then you have to tie them together like you mentioned w/ either angle or additional sq tube which will add (almost double?) the cost. Still... A good investment for someone that works on projects more than not.

I recently purchased 4qty 8' sections of Unistrut Channel from my local steel yards scrap/discarded pile (Jan '20). By the pound it was over $40 for the purchase so something strong enough to support a vehicle wouldn't have been cheaper.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

blk7gxn

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2019
Found this on Google. Like anything in life, if its done correctly YES! Even steel is dangerous if done incorrectly, obviously there is a recall out there presently!
1590094372330.png

• Agree
Reactions: 5 users

87National

G-Body Guru
Apr 15, 2009
eastern SD
Maybe $50 in used/discarded steel from a steel yards scrap/drop pile. Online steel sources for 2x2x.188 wall sq tube for just 12"L uprights would be @ least $100 & then you have to tie them together like you mentioned w/ either angle or additional sq tube which will add (almost double?) the cost. Still... A good investment for someone that works on projects more than not.

I recently purchased 4qty 8' sections of Unistrut Channel from my local steel yards scrap/discarded pile (Jan '20). By the pound it was over $40 for the purchase so something strong enough to support a vehicle wouldn't have been cheaper.

I guess it depends on how resourceful you are.

My brother has a business that sells new and used steel (mostly oilfield pipe and rod). He sells new 1.5" square tube for $0.90 per ft and 2" square tube for $1.25. So if I were to attempt to duplicate the stands in the picture, I would do it for around $50. On the other hand if you bought overpriced steel at Lowes.....it might cost $200.

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
I guess it depends on how resourceful you are.

My brother has a business that sells new and used steel (mostly oilfield pipe and rod). He sells new 1.5" square tube for $0.90 per ft and 2" square tube for $1.25. So if I were to attempt to duplicate the stands in the picture, I would do it for around $50. On the other hand if you bought overpriced steel at Lowes.....it might cost $200.
Local steel yard. Scrapped/drop cuts metal for the Unistrut Channel I bought & it was $45. Not over-priced stuff @ Lowes, Structural stuff would be more than what I paid. I agree it can be possible for the resourceful out there to get things cheaper but where I'm @ you pay by the pound for material.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor