3.73 gears no posi?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pimplogic

Master Mechanic
Dec 25, 2009
i found a set of 3.73,and 3.23 gears to replace my stock 7.5's low 2 gears. they're only 140 bucks should i go with them?

Are the 3.73's and 3.23's stock gears also? If so they will not work on your carrier. You will need to run a ring gear spacer. If they aren't stock then they might be the "thick" gears and no spacer will be needed. Last I looked you could pick up summit brand gears for 160.

IMO I don't see anything good from going with a low gear without a posi unit. Your only putting power to running tire and with a lower gear your risk just spinning on the tire. The 3.23 is a good gear to run with a non posi unit, the 3.73 is a little steep. And if your running a 3 speed trans, your gonna hate it if you do a lot of highway driving. A really good gear is the 3.42.

ive got a 342 in my 84 cutlass i used a rear gear out of a s-10 i got the whole rearend from a salvage yard for 60 bucks just simply pull all of the guts and shims out of it and put it all back in the way you took it out and your done i agree the 373 is two low geared for hwy cruisin the 342 is just on the line it runs about 27k rpms at 60

27,000 rpms at 60mph! what ya got in there a jet turbine? :lol:

im sorry 2,700 rpms im am runnin short tires to 235/60/14 im runnin 625 gear in my racecar and turnin 8,100 rpms in 3/8 mile now thats tight!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On our extremely low budget we couldn't afford a posi unit or limited slip etc. so we just installed a 3.73:1 open rear axle from the junk yard, I think it was a monte carlo that we pulled it from. We raced the 1/4 mile with it for 2 years and had some traction problems but not too bad. We had some used 26" slicks and had to play with the tire pressures to get the traction set up, usually about 1-2 psig lower in the right tire.

We went every weds or friday night and played/raced against mostly people who had fat wallets. Those people all claimed it was "impossible" to get into the 12's with an open rear axle on a 3400 LB car- whatever... we consistently ran 12.60s with the open rear. However we didn't race for points or for strict competition, we only raced for fun. If you are trying to have accurate reliable consistent times for 1/4 mile drag then I'd have to recommend getting a spool or posi unit. The open rear was great most of the time but easy to break loose in bad conditions.

On the street I'd also say to go for a posi unit, but unless you race from every single stop light I don't think it's that critical to need a posi.

well, my cutlass has a chevy 350/350 combo with stock rear 3.73's and tops out at about 63 mph so no, unless you have a o.d. trans i wouldn't recommend it

Sorry I didn't start a new thread but I have the same question. 350/350 combo with 3.42's 7.5 open rearend what would my top mph be. The last guy is getting 63 mph on 3.73's that low. I have no concern driving over 85 mph but I would like to have a idea of what this setup will do for highway driving

I'm running a 350/350 combo in my bu with 3.73 posi gears and my top speed was bouncing the needle on 85 cause that was as high as she would go. I don't know if you guys are running stock or not. 63 mph has to be stock especially with an open diff. Figure it takes more power to move posi-trac. I know I could reach 110 or so mph. That summit cam would scare the hell out of me cause it would just not stop climbing in the rpms. I got ballsy enough to take it to 8500 and stopped cause I never took the motor to that limit before.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor