3.8 Buick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Street Sweeper22

Greasemonkey
Nov 18, 2017
If everything is working you're only supposed to pump the carb one time.
Look down the carb (engine off overnight cold) and see if you can see fuel shooting out of the discharge holes as you open the throttle. It will run out eventually after a few pumps. If there is no fuel coming out, the accel pump is bad or there is not enough fuel getting into the carb.
I have noticed a very clear difference in how my v6 and now my 350 run on ethanol laced fuel vs straight gasoline.
If youve ever overfilled the tank it can back up through the vapor line into the charcoal canister and cause issues. Temporarily unhook it from the carb and see if it runs any better.
I have a new accelerator pump. Do you know how to take the spring off the old one and put it on the new one?

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
I have a new accelerator pump. Do you know how to take the spring off the old one and put it on the new one?
What kind of carburetor do you have? Post a picture.

Street Sweeper22

Greasemonkey
Nov 18, 2017

Attachments

• 165802ED-CB0C-4DA1-892A-C5AC37C5D905.jpeg
    165802ED-CB0C-4DA1-892A-C5AC37C5D905.jpeg
    564.9 KB · Views: 75
  • 677B2C73-E053-4DFE-B353-9C07BCB2AB2C.jpeg
    677B2C73-E053-4DFE-B353-9C07BCB2AB2C.jpeg
    924.7 KB · Views: 84

Street Sweeper22

Greasemonkey
Nov 18, 2017
Colorado? Like mile high? My guess, you need altitude adjustment. At higher speed the throttle is open, so more air. The air is thinner up there, it needs more air with the throttle plate closed.
would I adjust that with the two screws at the base of the carb? And it’s also throwing code 42 intermittently.

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Code 42 is an electronic spark control problem. Probably an open or short in the circuit somewhere.

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Is there a part that can go bad or how do I solve this problem? I just searched everywhere for a melted wire or loose plug wire. I can’t find anything
Its possible the HEI module in the distributor is going bad. The code refers to the HEI module's bypass circuit. The computer applies voltage to the module's bypass circuit and speeds above 500 rpm to bypass it and take over ignition firing.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
You should be able to compress the spring until the slot in the washer/retainer will slide out the groove in the pump shaft

jiho

Royal Smart Person
Jul 26, 2013
would I adjust that with the two screws at the base of the carb?
Yes. Clone can chime in on that, too. You watch a dwell meter while you turn. (Ironically enough, given your Code 42. The distributor has no use for a dwell meter.)

Reactions: 1 user

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Yes. Clone can chime in on that, too. You watch a dwell meter while you turn. (Ironically enough, given your Code 42. The distributor has no use for a dwell meter.)
Yep, you use an analog dwell meter set on the 6 cylinder scale, regardless how many cylinders the engine has. The idle mixture screws are the course adjustment for both idle and off idle mixtures. While the idle airbleed in the choke horn is the fine mixture adjustment for only the base idle. Most of the time only the idle aif bleed needs adjusting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor