3.8 idle too low when a/c on and high electrical load

Status
Not open for further replies.

a.graham52

Greasemonkey
Oct 19, 2017
as the title says. i have a 3.8 in my cutlass and when the a/c is on and high electrical load like at night is on, idle will be low enough to make the oil pressure/choke light glow. if i turn the a/c off, idle comes up and light turns off. the issue is the throttle kicker is not working. doesnt automatically boost throttle under load. when i first had the car it was working, it would cycle in and out with KOEO and now does not do that. how does one diagnose this part?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
first check to see if you have power on the wire with the ac on. If there is power then the fast idle solenoid is defective. If there is no power you need to troubleshoot that problem

Reactions: 1 user

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
I fixed my oil light with 15w-40.
As stated, check for power at the solenoid with the AC on. It should be a light green wire, that goes to the pressure switch. If there is power, then make sure it is grounding to the mount bracket. If the ground is good, the solenoid might be toast.

Reactions: 1 users

a.graham52

Greasemonkey
Oct 19, 2017
what are the remaining wires by chance? i belive there are four. that way i can check them too while im in there if need be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor