3.8 V6 231 Engine modifications?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
305s at least respond to mods unlike 231s. 305s also had decent aftermarket support in the past while na 231s never did. Sadly 231s are pretty much stuck at below 130 hp without going deep into the engine or putting a turbo on it. The 3 biggest problems with 231s are the low compression ratio, the poor flowing heads (which Buick solved with turbos as a bandaid), and being 90 degree V6s. On a V6, the banks should be 60 degrees.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Onehit

Greasemonkey
Mar 5, 2013
Old Bridge, New Jersey
Ill chime is here, I've done everything you looking to do to my V6. I put on an Edelbrock intake 4 barrel carb and cam, Hedman headers, and pypes dual exhaust. I did this all before any kind of forum as a guide. If I knew then what I've learned off the forums I would have went with just the 4 barrel intake and carb from a 4.1 and left it on the computer. As for helping you get some performance without touching the engine, the 3.73 gears and 200r4 transmission I pulled from a wrecked 442 made the biggest improvement. Also take into consideration if you go the Edelbrock route you'll have to eliminate the emissions equipment which could be a deal-breaker in certain states if you still have to take the car through inspection. With that all said the car will now run a 17.4 in the quarter mile

Reactions: 1 users

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
Also take into consideration if you go the Edelbrock route you'll have to eliminate the emissions equipment which could be a deal-breaker in certain states if you still have to take the car through inspection.

Any state that still checks the emissions on 30 year old cars just isn't worth living in. Even with all of the controls removed it will still put out less emissions than more popular/prevalent 40 and 50 year old cars.

• Disagree

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
No it won't. Disabling the emission systems on any engine will increase pollution, especially evap as that is one of the 3 main sources of pollution from cars. Its also illegal to disable emissions in all 50 states, no matter if there are still inspections. The emission controls nor the ccc are the reasons for low hp. Its the low cr, the crummy heads, the peanut cam, mainly engine internals. This combined with the lame 200c trans and 2.41 gears.

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
No it won't. Disabling the emission systems on any engine will increase pollution, especially evap as that is one of the 3 main sources of pollution from cars. Its also illegal to disable emissions in all 50 states, no matter if there are still inspections. The emission controls nor the ccc are the reasons for low hp. Its the low cr, the crummy heads, the peanut cam, mainly engine internals. This combined with the lame 200c trans and 2.41 gears.

A '57 Chevy or '64 GTO doesn't have any pollution controls. None.

So should they be banned from the roads because they "pollute". Modifying a car to make more HP, doesn't necessarily make it pollute more, but nanny states ban modifications because "it might". I'm not advocating removing emission controls on a 231 for some performance gain, I just saying in the larger scheme of thing it doesn't matter, any more.

No amount of modifications will make a 231 pollute more than a '64 GTO.

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Ill chime is here, I've done everything you looking to do to my V6. I put on an Edelbrock intake 4 barrel carb and cam, Hedman headers, and pypes dual exhaust. I did this all before any kind of forum as a guide. If I knew then what I've learned off the forums I would have went with just the 4 barrel intake and carb from a 4.1 and left it on the computer. As for helping you get some performance without touching the engine, the 3.73 gears and 200r4 transmission I pulled from a wrecked 442 made the biggest improvement. Also take into consideration if you go the Edelbrock route you'll have to eliminate the emissions equipment which could be a deal-breaker in certain states if you still have to take the car through inspection. With that all said the car will now run a 17.4 in the quarter mile

Dude, that is awesome! Now put on some NAWZ!

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
A '57 Chevy or '64 GTO doesn't have any pollution controls. None.

So should they be banned from the roads because they "pollute". Modifying a car to make more HP, doesn't necessarily make it pollute more, but nanny states ban modifications because "it might". I'm not advocating removing emission controls on a 231 for some performance gain, I just saying in the larger scheme of thing it doesn't matter, any more.

No amount of modifications will make a 231 pollute more than a '64 GTO.

In fact there are probably more '64 GTOs on the road today than there are 231 V6s.

• Optimistic
  • Disagree
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Add dual exhaust. I actually had 1 5/8" shorty headers and 2.5" dual exhaust along with forced air set up on my Olds 260. Same hp, more torque. It barely made any difference over the 2" exhaust on it, super lean/small carb, 7.8 to 1 with tiny port heads. Unless you richen or go bigger for the carb, it will make no difference. Get the 4.1 carb and intake which should work with your CCC and add 2" dual exhaust. The two things will help power and keep mileage close to the same, if not improve if you keep your foot out of it. That was the whole point of these tiny motors, lower emissions and better mileage. I got 2 mpg better mileage with an Olds 260 and a non lock up TH350 than an Olds 350 with the Qjet leaned right out with OD and lock up with the same gearing. The 350 was way more fun and mild but still lost mpg.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor